Spirit Landed Successfully, sending pictures

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, NASA's Spirit rover has successfully landed on Mars and is currently transmitting. Its associated rover, Opportunity, is set to land on January 24th. Opportunity will explore a different area of the planet and is in good condition. The proposed quantum cascade laser for atmospheric analysis may have been included in the mission. A map of Mars showing past and present landing sites can be found. The recent discovery of "footprints" in the soil next to the lander caused confusion for some, but it was actually just the airbag's skid marks.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Great News,

NASA's Spirit rover has landed and is transmitting.

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ivan has a better link here

Space.com's complete coverage...
http://www.space.com/marsrover/

Way to go NASA!
The associated rover, Opportunity, is scheduled to land Jan 24!

Originally posted by Phobos
Space.com's complete coverage...
http://www.space.com/marsrover/

Way to go NASA!
The associated rover, Opportunity, is scheduled to land Jan 24!

I was wondering about this. What will Opportunity do that the previous rover didn't do before? And isn't the rover still in good condition?

Originally posted by Jeebus
I was wondering about this. What will Opportunity do that the previous rover didn't do before? And isn't the rover still in good condition?

Yes, Sprit is in excellent health. Opportunity will land on the opposite side of the planet, and in an area geographically dissimilar to any site we have previously examined.

A friend of mine recently heard talk of a metallic glint in one of the Sprit photos, and the possibility that it might be a distant glimps of Viking. I am certain the individual was talking about the images taken by Mars Global Surveyer, but I found myself unnable to map out in my mind where MER-1 is in relation to Viking and Pathfinder. Does anyone know where I might find a map of Mars showing past and present landing sights?

Does anyone know if the proposed quantum cascade laser for atmospheric analysis was included?

Originally posted by Evo
Does anyone know if the proposed quantum cascade laser for atmospheric analysis was included?

You're a nerd?

I hadn't noticed this with all of the discussion about your wall eating dog, drooling Zoobie, drooling Zooby, chocolate, and the masturbating bear.

My sister called and mentioned the "footprints" in the soil next to the lander. At the time I was not aware of the interest in the airbag's skid marks - the clumpy soil shots - which are what she had seen. I started laughing and assured her that such an event would yield 24 hrs news coverage and announcements from the president. She assumed that we had seen these "footprints", the press had shown everyone, and now we just proceed like it's no big deal.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
You're a nerd?
One of my personalities is. :wink:

I hadn't noticed this with all of the discussion about your wall eating dog, drooling Zoobie, drooling Zooby, chocolate, and the masturbating bear.[/B]
Hey the masturbating bear is chroot's!

My sister called and mentioned the "footprints" in the soil next to the lander. At the time I was not aware of the interest in the airbag's skid marks - the clumpy soil shots - which are what she had seen. I started laughing and assured her that such an event would yield 24 hrs news coverage and announcements from the president. She assumed that we had seen these "footprints", the press had shown everyone, and now we just proceed like it's no big deal.
That's too funny. Quite imaginative to see "footprints".

1. What does it mean that "Spirit Landed Successfully"?

"Spirit" refers to the name of one of the Mars Exploration Rovers (MER) launched by NASA in 2003. "Landed successfully" means that the rover successfully touched down on the surface of Mars and was able to begin its mission.

2. How did "Spirit" land on Mars?

"Spirit" was launched from Earth on a Delta II rocket and entered the Martian atmosphere at a speed of about 19,000 kilometers per hour. Then, it used a combination of parachutes and airbags to cushion its landing on the surface of Mars.

3. What types of pictures did "Spirit" send back to Earth?

"Spirit" was equipped with a number of cameras, including panoramic cameras, navigation cameras, and hazard avoidance cameras. These cameras captured images of the Martian landscape, as well as close-up images of rocks and other features.

4. How long did "Spirit" operate on Mars?

The mission was originally planned for 90 Martian days (or sols), but "Spirit" exceeded all expectations and continued to operate for over 6 years, sending back valuable data and images. Unfortunately, the rover stopped communicating with Earth in 2010 after getting stuck in soft sand.

5. What did "Spirit's" successful landing and mission teach us about Mars?

The mission of "Spirit" (and its sister rover "Opportunity") provided valuable insights into the geology and history of Mars. The rovers discovered evidence of past water activity, analyzed soil and rock samples, and helped us better understand the potential for life on the red planet.