Simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable matrices commute

In summary, we have two matrices A and B that are simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable. This means that there exists a unitary matrix P such that P^-1AP = D1 and P^-1BP = D2, where D1 and D2 are diagonal matrices. Since diagonal matrices always commute, we know that D1D2 = D2D1. By substitution, we get P^-1ABP = D1D2 = D2D1 = P^-1BAP. This shows that AB = BA and therefore, A and B commute. The unitary part is not needed to prove this, unless the matrices are also normal.
bmanbs2
[tex][/tex]

Homework Statement

Matrices A and B are simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable. Prove that they commute.

Homework Equations

As A and B are simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable, there exists a unitary matrix P such that

[tex]P^{-1}AP = D_{1}[/tex] and [tex]P^{-1}BP = D_{2}[/tex], where D[tex]_{1}[/tex] and D[tex]_{2}[/tex] are diagonal matrices., where D[tex]_{1}[/tex] and D[tex]_{2}[/tex] are diagonal matrices.

Diagonal matrices always commute.

A unitary matrix multiplied by its conjugate transpose results in an identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have that
[tex]P^{-1}APP^{-1}BP = P^{-1}ABP = D_{1}D_{2}[/tex] and
[tex]P^{-1}BPP^{-1}AP = P^{-1}BAP = D_{2}D_{1}[/tex]
[tex]D_{1}D_{2} = D_{2}D_{1} P^{-1}ABP = P^{-1}BAP[/tex].

Is this enough to show that AB = BA? Where would I use the fact that P is unitary?

Also, how do I delete the latex part at the top? It goes straight to the first latex entry. I put empty tex tags at the top to make it as non-distracting as possible, but if I don't add them, the gibberish goes straight to the next latex section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump?

you don't need the unitary part, since two diagonalizable matrices are generally simutaneously diagonalizable if and only if they commute; the unitary part is needed if you also assert that the matrices are both normal -- did you leave that out?

I didn't, but I just recieven an update to the assignment that says I need to show the matrices are normal.

Related to Simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable matrices commute

What does it mean for matrices to be simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable?

Simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable matrices are a special type of matrices that can be transformed into diagonal matrices by a single unitary transformation. This means that they have the same eigenvectors and can be diagonalized at the same time.

Why is it important for matrices to commute?

When matrices commute, it means that their operations can be performed in any order without affecting the final result. This is important in many applications, as it simplifies computations and makes it easier to solve problems.

What are the benefits of unitarily diagonalizing matrices?

Unitarily diagonalizing matrices allows for easier computations, as well as providing a better understanding of the underlying structure of the matrices. It also simplifies finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrices.

How do you know if two matrices are simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable?

Two matrices are simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable if they have the same set of eigenvectors. This can be checked by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of both matrices and comparing them.

What are some real-world applications of simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable matrices?

Simultaneously unitarily diagonalizeable matrices have applications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and optimization problems. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis, specifically in principal component analysis and singular value decomposition.