Simulation Software for a Permanent Magnet Alternator Design

In summary: I could control. It is good to be back.In summary, I am looking for software that can help me design alternators economically. I am a retired EE so I do not have corporate capital for simulation software.
Bcavender
I am looking to try some design ideas using PMs for alternator design. I am a retired EE so I do not have corporate capital for simulation software.

Does anyone know of low to medium cost simulation software that might be workable for basic flux/emf/etc calculations and modeling? Or other approaches to software?

Thanks!

Bruce

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bcavender said:
I am looking to try some design ideas using PMs for alternator design. I am a retired EE so I do not have corporate capital for simulation software.

Does anyone know of low to medium cost simulation software that might be workable for basic flux/emf/etc calculations and modeling? Or other approaches to software?

Thanks!

Bruce
Welcome to the PF, Bruce.

I'm not aware of low-cost alternatives to COMSOL and similar packages, and I'm guessing you have used Google to try to find such packages. Can you maybe look at using Excel to write your own simulations? It will take some work on your part, but if you are familiar with differential equations and numerical simulation concepts, you could probably do some good work with some large Excel spreadsheet simulations...

https://www.comsol.com/video/modeling-rotating-electrical-machines-in-comsol-multiphysics

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Bruce.

I'm not aware of low-cost alternatives to COMSOL and similar packages, and I'm guessing you have used Google to try to find such packages. Can you maybe look at using Excel to write your own simulations? It will take some work on your part, but if you are familiar with differential equations and numerical simulation concepts, you could probably do some good work with some large Excel spreadsheet simulations...

https://www.comsol.com/video/modeling-rotating-electrical-machines-in-comsol-multiphysics

Berkeman,

Thank you for the reply.

I have some basics in a spreadsheet as we speak, but I am still plying search engines for a sniff of low freq EM productivity boost. My goal here is to test the waters to see if there was any mid-Level engineering entrepreneurs out there that may have already put together software in seeking economic independence through their valuable skills/risk taking and have finally graduated from Cubelife.

Clearly the big simulation houses have far too much capital invested that requires giant covering cash flows annually. By this strategy, IMHO they have priced their products out of the small/midrange application market. Autodesk recognized this and addressed this marketspace in the CAD/CAM world with their Fusion360 product. It appears to me they are trying to aggressively corner the edu/small/medium shop marketplace with this very capable product ... and then be able to drive the highly productive in that group to their high range products. I love the recognition of the mid-range marketspace and product tech strategy, but their marketing strategy is economically narrow/harsh and legally brusque. Time will tell if this subscription-only strategy will pay off. ADSK hasn't been in the black since 2014Q2. Investment analysts love the new marketing play do death as they only foresee steadily increasing cash flows. Many in their previous customer base, for example in the PracticalMachinist.com community, have disparaged the move with prejudice ... to say it politely. I do a bit of proto work. Fusion360 is technically powerful, but I am avoiding it as past treatment of customers could very likely repeat. It is unfortunate when ill conceived biz policy wrecks perfectly good technology sales. There seems no shortage of CEOs willing to throw away half of their customer base for issues, sometimes, unrelated to their products entirely. Puzzling.

I am happy to trade off a smidge more incremental work as I go along and not have to be worried about getting locked into someone's massive learning curve that suddenly doubles/quadruples/8X in cost and opting out locks me out of all past work I have performed. (Not to mention risking IP liability if some Bulgarian Basement Blackhat triggers a cloud theft/ransom/delete all including backups exploit.) I like to keep it simple and controllable. Time will ID the real risks here. As an engineer, it is difficult to trust to good luck and not design for the worst case situation. Just too old fashioned I guess.

A great example in the medium productivity software level space is LISA. It is a really nice basic FEA package that imports a variety of common 3D file formats for well above trivial level designs and costs $300. I am guessing that this venture is a one man show, but both the software and support are top shelf. It does 80% of what I find necessary for good/economic design and saves a great deal of wheel-reinvention on my part. From the verbose responses to support questions, you can tell the gent behind the package lives, breathes and loves practical, usable FEA. He appears to be having a ball. Thirteen years ago the 80/20 mindset got me out of the exponentially expanding frustration of engineering/managing in the bigcorp/big city enviro in order to work on simply what I like ... only. Life is way too short to be 80% frustrated all the time.

Pareto was a very wise man.

I too have been in AmRadio since high school (in the 70s) and participate in Infragard activity occasionally. Extra class, 160m-70cm, hoping to experiment with some of the advanced modulation modes/SDR on completion of this low freq EM project. AmRadio has been quite the learning/fun experience with really great people.
Bruce
Exurbs, TN

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
Bcavender said:
A great example in the medium productivity software level space is LISA. It is a really nice basic FEA package that imports a variety of common 3D file formats for well above trivial level designs and costs $300. I am guessing that this venture is a one man show, but both the software and support are top shelf. It does 80% of what I find necessary for good/economic design and saves a great deal of wheel-reinvention on my part. From the verbose responses to support questions, you can tell the gent behind the package lives, breathes and loves practical, usable FEA. He appears to be having a ball.
Thanks for the tip on LISA, I'll check it out. :smile:
Bcavender said:
I too have been in AmRadio since high school (in the 70s) and participate in Infragard activity occasionally. Extra class, 160m-70cm, hoping to experiment with some of the advanced modulation modes/SDR on completion of this low freq EM project. AmRadio has been quite the learning/fun experience with really great people.
:biggrin:

Likes wetel and berkeman
Tom.G said:
For just the field aspect, take a look at: http://www.femm.info/wiki/HomePage

It does Magnetic, Heat, Current fields, and maybe others... and it's FREE!
Is it possible to see motor simulation in it ?

Don't know, haven't used it. But it's not mentioned on the website.

Tom.G said:
Don't know, haven't used it. But it's not mentioned on the website.
Yeah it's not mentioned in website.

But I saw some youtube video of motor simulation in femm with rotor movement and all. Don't know how the author did it

Femm is go tool for electromagnetic simulation and it is also free

Related to Simulation Software for a Permanent Magnet Alternator Design

1. What is simulation software for a permanent magnet alternator design?

Simulation software for a permanent magnet alternator design is a computer program that allows users to model and simulate the performance and characteristics of a permanent magnet alternator. It uses mathematical algorithms and equations to predict the behavior of the alternator under different operating conditions.

2. Why is simulation software important for designing permanent magnet alternators?

Simulation software is important for designing permanent magnet alternators because it allows engineers to test and optimize the design before building a physical prototype. This saves time and resources and ensures that the final product meets performance requirements.

3. What are the key features of simulation software for a permanent magnet alternator design?

The key features of simulation software for a permanent magnet alternator design include the ability to model and analyze electromagnetic fields, calculate torque and power output, simulate different load conditions, and optimize design parameters such as magnet placement and coil configurations.

4. Can simulation software accurately predict the performance of a permanent magnet alternator?

Yes, simulation software can accurately predict the performance of a permanent magnet alternator if the model is properly calibrated and the input parameters are accurate. However, it is important to validate the simulation results with experimental data to ensure accuracy.

5. How can simulation software help in the development of more efficient permanent magnet alternators?

Simulation software can help in the development of more efficient permanent magnet alternators by allowing engineers to test and compare different design configurations, identify areas for improvement, and optimize the design for maximum efficiency. It can also help in predicting the performance of new designs before they are built, reducing the time and cost of the development process.