Simulating Sub-Atomic Particles

• Thread starter Sam Kennedy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the individual wants to create a simulation solely for entertainment purposes, where up and down quarks and electrons are randomly placed on a 2d grid. They plan to simulate the forces between the particles and observe the formation of protons, neutrons, and atoms. They are not looking for an accurate simulation and are seeking advice on how to approach the problem. However, it is mentioned that simulating sub-atomic particles may be impossible due to the complexity of quantum systems.
Sam Kennedy
I want to create a simulation (solely for entertainment, not for homework or research or anything) where up and down quarks along with electrons will be placed randomly on a 2d grid.

After that I would simulate the forces acting between the particles, and see if the quarks form protons and neutrons, then the protons, neutrons and electrons form atoms.

I'm not looking to code an accurate simulation, just something interesting to watch evolve. My background is in programming, not maths and physics, so I don't want to have to solve PDE's etc.

Are there any similar simulations which I could get some ideas from?

Any advice on how to approach this problem would be great :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sam Kennedy said:
I'm not looking to code an accurate simulation, just something interesting to watch evolve. My background is in programming, not maths and physics, so I don't want to have to solve PDE's etc.

If that is the case then you won't really be simulating sub-atomic particles though, right? Just forget any tie to particles and code up your system how you like.

OP, I'm afraid what you seek is likely impossible. These are hard quantum systems, and they cannot be described with anything except for high-dimensional Schroedinger equations (the dimensionality grows with each particle). It is not even the sub-atomic part which makes this hard: It is already the case if you just consider atomic or molecular systems, i.e., just electrons the field of point-charge nuclei.

Related to Simulating Sub-Atomic Particles

What are sub-atomic particles?

Sub-atomic particles are the smallest units of matter that make up atoms. They include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

Why is it important to simulate sub-atomic particles?

Simulating sub-atomic particles allows us to better understand the behavior and interactions of these particles, which ultimately helps us understand the fundamental principles of the universe.

What methods are used to simulate sub-atomic particles?

There are several methods used to simulate sub-atomic particles, including computer simulations, particle accelerators, and mathematical models based on quantum mechanics.

What are some applications of simulating sub-atomic particles?

Simulating sub-atomic particles has many practical applications, such as in the development of new materials and technologies, understanding the behavior of matter at extreme conditions, and in medical imaging and treatments.

Are there any challenges in simulating sub-atomic particles?

Simulating sub-atomic particles can be challenging due to the complexity and uncertainty of particle behavior, as well as the computational power and resources required for accurate simulations.