Simulating Random Walk: Calculating Diffusion Length

In summary, the conversation discusses using a gaussian random walk to model real-world time series data and the equation for calculating the root mean squared expected translation distance. The individual is trying to use a MATLAB simulation to find the equivalent diffusion length for an exciton with a given lifetime and is using a gaussian fit to do so. However, there is confusion about the specifics of the random walk and the formula for the diffusion length.
AndersonMD
I am trying to do simulations of a random walk, I get out a normal distribution in 1D how do I get the "diffusion length" from the gaussian fit?

Physics news on Phys.org
From wikipedia

Gaussian random walk

A random walk having a step size that varies according to a normal distribution is used as a model for real-world time series data such as financial markets. The Black-Scholes formula for modeling equity option prices, for example, uses a gaussian random walk as an underlying assumption.

Here, the step size is the inverse cumulative normal distribution Φ − 1(z,μ,σ) where 0 ≤ z ≤ 1 is a uniformly distributed random number, and μ and σ are the mean and standard deviations of the normal distribution, respectively.

For steps distributed according to any distribution with a finite variance (not necessarily just a normal distribution), the root mean squared expected translation distance after n steps is

E|S_n| = σ√n.

So, if I am looking for the diffusion length of an exciton with lifetime [tex] \tau [/tex], where [tex] l_{D}=\sqrt{D_{X}\tau} [/tex], and I want to find out what the equivalent diffusion length in my simulation is where I am using random steps of length dx, I can fit the gaussian and find the E mentioned above?

Your original question and your comment are confusing me. Are you talking about a random walk with steps of fixed length (random direction) or are the step lengths distributed normally? Also, how many dimensions is your walk? I am not familiar with the physics notion (exciton) and the diffusion length (?) formula.

I think I figured it out.
In general (1D) you can solve for:

[itex] \frac{\partial n_{x}}{\partial t} = D_{x}\frac{\partial^{2} n_{x}}{\partial x}-\frac{n_{x}}{\tau} + I(x,t) [/itex]

This can be solved with a Gaussian and [itex]\sigma^{2} = 4D_{x}t[/itex]. What I was trying to do was using a random step MATLAB simulation with a time step, lifetime, and spatial step figure out what the equivalent diffusion length was.

Related to Simulating Random Walk: Calculating Diffusion Length

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept where a point or particle moves randomly in a defined space, taking random steps in various directions. It is often used to model real-world phenomena such as the movement of molecules in a gas or the stock market.

2. How is random walk related to diffusion?

Diffusion is the process by which particles or molecules move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. This movement is similar to a random walk, where particles take random steps and eventually spread out evenly in the available space. Thus, random walk is often used to simulate and calculate diffusion length in various systems.

3. What is diffusion length?

Diffusion length is the average distance a particle or molecule travels during the process of diffusion. It is a measure of how far a particle can move before it collides with another particle or reaches equilibrium with its surroundings.

4. How is random walk simulated to calculate diffusion length?

To simulate a random walk, we use a computer program that generates random numbers to represent the direction and distance of each step taken by the particle. The program runs for a specified number of steps, and the final position of the particle is recorded. This process is repeated multiple times, and the average distance from the starting point is calculated to determine the diffusion length.

5. What are some practical applications of simulating random walk and calculating diffusion length?

Simulating random walk and calculating diffusion length has many applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. Some examples include studying the movement of molecules in a gas or liquid, predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing financial markets, and understanding the behavior of particles in materials. It can also be used to optimize processes and design experiments in these fields.