Rate of Gaseous Diffusion into a Vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the diffusion of a gas or mixture of gases into an evacuated space. The question is how to approximate how quickly the gas will diffuse from a pressurized vessel to an evacuated vessel connected by a length of tubing with a valve. Factors such as differential pressure, length and diameter of the tubing, and the gas identity affect the rate of diffusion. Suggestions for finding a solution include learning about pressure drop in gas flow and using online calculators. The concern is that the gas may flow too quickly and cause damage, rather than taking too long to reach equilibrium.
RandyP
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the diffusion of a gas (or mixture of gases) into an evacuated space. The situation I am picturing is one where you have two vessels of equal volume, one contains a gas at room temperature, some known pressure (say ~760torr), and the other at static high vacuum (say ~1e-5 torr). Joining the vessels is a length of tubing with a valve at the center.

Upon opening the valve, obviously the gas will diffuse from the pressurized side to the evacuated side until an equilibrium is reached. My real question is how can I make a good approximation of how quickly that will occur? I realize it will be dependent on:

differential pressure
length of tubing
diameter of tubing
identity of the gas/gas mixture

...and probably some other factors I am not considering at the moment. Can anyone provide some insight for a rough determination?

Thanks much,

Randy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Randy, :welcome:

I wouldn't call that diffusion but pressure-driven flow. Never mind.

Depending on whether you want to learn something or just need a quick answer.
For the first you need to learn about "pressure drop in gas flow" (which google)
For the second you could use a calculator on the net

Pressure driven flow it is. Thanks for the link to that calculator - requires a license but they do provide equations that may help. I am putting something together where I'd like to get a feel for the flow rates. Would like to know ahead of time if I am talking 2 minutes to equilibrate - or 2 hours.

Randy

Oops. Maybe this one ? They have limitations on pipe/orifice diameters, but it's a start.
I'd expect that your concern should be that it goes too fast initially and things break, not that you have to wait for hours. But I don't know any dimensions, so I don't know if you can have the valve wide open...

Related to Rate of Gaseous Diffusion into a Vacuum

What is the definition of rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum?

The rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum is a measure of how quickly a gas molecule moves from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure in a vacuum. It is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the size and shape of the gas molecule.

How is the rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum calculated?

The rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum can be calculated using Fick's law of diffusion, which states that the rate of diffusion is proportional to the surface area and concentration gradient of the gas, and inversely proportional to the distance the gas must travel.

What factors affect the rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum?

The rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the size and shape of the gas molecule. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in faster diffusion rates, while larger and more complex molecules diffuse more slowly.

How can the rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum be increased?

The rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum can be increased by increasing the surface area between the gas and the vacuum, increasing the concentration gradient by adjusting the pressure difference, or by increasing the temperature of the gas. Additionally, using a smaller gas molecule can also result in a faster diffusion rate.

What are some real-world applications of studying the rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum?

The study of the rate of gaseous diffusion into a vacuum has many practical applications, such as in the production of semiconductors, where precise control of gas diffusion rates is necessary for creating microchips. It is also important in the fields of vacuum technology, gas separation processes, and in understanding the diffusion of gases in the Earth's atmosphere.