Simulating Coliding Springs - Is it possible without invoking conservation laws?

In summary, Tom is working on a simulation involving two damped springs moving through a frictionless pipe. He is faced with the challenge of adjusting the positions of the springs when they collide in the simulation. He suggests taking the average of the end points to remove interpenetration, but wonders if this would be accurate enough. He also considers two other possible solutions but finds flaws in both. Tom asks for further insight on the matter.
cfp
Hi,

I am working on a simulation and I have a problem of similar nature to the following:

Consider a horizontal frictionless pipe containing two damped springs with the same diameter as the pipe. Suppose both of the springs are moving horizontally through the pipe, one faster than the other; so eventually they will collide.

Now imagine we're simulating this situation, and suppose step N is the first step in which the two spring interpenetrate.

Clearly the positions of the ends of the two springs have to be adjusted to remove the interpenetration.

I have a strong (non-justified) hunch that just taking the average of the end points, perhaps weighted by the springs masses would be accurate enough.

Furthermore, if I did this it seems at least like I'd get conservation of momentum and conservation of energy for free.

Can anyone tell me why this would be grossly inaccurate?

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring constants and the length of the springs would also be needed.
If the paramenters (L,k,m) of the two springs ar different, you could be way off. It should not be too hard to write down the correct equations.

For what I'm simulating getting analytic solutions isn't really feasible. There will be several thousand springs, many connected to each other, and all free to move in 2D space.

My thought was that given interpenetrating springs, there are three ways of correcting it:

1) You do what I originally suggested and just adjust the positions of the interpenetrating ends in a naive way (e.g. take their average).
2) You keep the centre of mass where it ended up, and bring in all end positions as much as is necessary to remove the interpenetration.
3) You keep the far ends fixed and adjust the interpenetrating ends to the positions they would converge to at infinity under these constraints.

Now 2) will result in the far ends of the spring being contracted as well, which is clearly wrong. In fact it is clearly wrong for the centre of mass to stay in the same place, if we were solving continuously the centre of mass would not have come as far as it did before the collision ocurred.

And 3) seems grossly wrong because in reality it would take the spring a long time to settle to the value we would be setting it too. Very different to a 1/60th of a second time step!

Can anyone illuminate this any further?

Thanks,

Tom

Related to Simulating Coliding Springs - Is it possible without invoking conservation laws?

1. Is it possible to simulate colliding springs without conservation laws?

No, it is not possible to accurately simulate colliding springs without invoking conservation laws. The conservation of energy and momentum are fundamental principles in physics, and without them, the simulation would not accurately reflect the behavior of the springs.

2. Can conservation laws be ignored in the simulation of colliding springs?

No, conservation laws cannot be ignored in the simulation of colliding springs. These laws are essential for accurately modeling the behavior of physical systems, and ignoring them would result in an unrealistic simulation.

3. What happens if conservation laws are not considered in the simulation?

If conservation laws are not considered in the simulation, the results will not be accurate and will not reflect the real-world behavior of colliding springs. The simulation may also violate the basic principles of physics, leading to incorrect predictions and outcomes.

4. Are there any alternative methods for simulating colliding springs without using conservation laws?

No, there are no alternative methods for simulating colliding springs without using conservation laws. These laws are essential for accurately modeling the behavior of physical systems and cannot be replaced by other methods.

5. Why are conservation laws necessary for simulating colliding springs?

Conservation laws are necessary for simulating colliding springs because they govern the fundamental behaviors of energy and momentum in physical systems. Without these laws, the simulation would not accurately reflect the real-world behavior of colliding springs.