SHM and Conservation of Energy/Momentum

In summary, the problem involves an inelastic collision between a 2kg block attached to a wall and a 150g mass moving at 7m/s. The collision takes 0.4s to compress the spring to its maximum compression. The goal is to find the maximum force of contact between the two masses after the collision and then determine the energy of the system when the force between the masses is half this maximum value. To solve this problem, we can use the equations 0.5kx^2 and 0.5mv^2 = 11.025 m/s for mass M. However, the values for the spring constant and the amount of compression are not given, causing confusion about how to use 0
badatphysics2

Homework Statement

One end of a spring is attached to a wall to a block of mass X= 2kg (on a frictionless horizontal table). Another mass M of 150g moving at a speed of 7m/s collides (inelastic). This takes 0.4s to compress the spring to its max compression.
I have to find the max force of contact between X and M after the collision. And then the energy of the system when the force between the masses is half this max value.

Homework Equations

0.5kx^2
0.5mv^2 = 11.025 m/s (for mass M)
m1v1=m2v2
p=m*v
T = 1.6s (since it takes 0.4s for 1/4 of the period)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know energy will be conserved, so the energy from the spring, and from the mass X is needed. However, since the spring constant k, and the amount it's compressed by isn't given, I'm not sure how to do 0.5kx^2. I'm confused with what the 'max force of contact' between the two masses is. Is that considered impulse? I think I'd have to find the velocity of the two combined during the collision, and then using conservation to find the velocity after it?
But I'm not sure...how to relate them.

Physics news on Phys.org
badatphysics2 said:
0.5mv^2 = 11.025 m/s (for mass M)
How can an energy be equal to a velocity?
badatphysics2 said:
m1v1=m2v2
What are m1, v1, m2, v2?
badatphysics2 said:
I know energy will be conserved
Where? Everywhere?

Start with the correct time order, i. e. the inelastic collision first. That will make the second part with the spring easier.

Related to SHM and Conservation of Energy/Momentum

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position. This results in an oscillating motion where the object moves back and forth around the equilibrium point.

2. How is energy conserved in SHM?

In SHM, the potential energy and kinetic energy of the object are constantly changing, but their sum remains constant. As the object moves towards the equilibrium point, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa. This exchange between potential and kinetic energy ensures that the total energy of the system remains constant.

3. What is the relationship between SHM and the conservation of momentum?

In SHM, the momentum of the object is also conserved. This means that the product of the object's mass and velocity remains constant throughout the motion. As the object moves towards the equilibrium point, its velocity decreases while its mass remains constant, resulting in a decrease in momentum. However, as the object moves back towards its initial position, its velocity increases, compensating for the previous decrease in momentum.

4. How does damping affect SHM?

Damping is a force that resists the motion of an object, and it can affect SHM by decreasing the amplitude of the oscillation over time. This is because the damping force removes energy from the system, causing the amplitude to decrease until the object eventually comes to rest.

5. Can SHM occur in real-life systems?

Yes, SHM can occur in various real-life systems, such as a mass-spring system, a pendulum, and even in musical instruments. However, due to external factors such as damping, most real-life systems do not exhibit perfect SHM. Nevertheless, studying SHM can provide a useful model for understanding the behavior of these systems.