Simplying Summation Expression

In summary, the expression $f(x)=\ln\left({\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)$ can be expressed in terms of a power series by expanding the logarithms and using the closed forms of geometric series. By integrating these series, we can obtain a series for $\ln{(1+x)}$ and $\ln{(1-x)}$, and then subtract them to get the desired series for $f(x)$. This series is convergent for $|x| < 1$.
Dethrone
I encountered this expression while trying o express $f(x)=\ln\left({\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)$ in terms of a power series:

$$\int \left[ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n x^n + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n\right] \,dx$$
The book simplifies this expression as $\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2x^{2n} \,dx$ by expanding the above two series and simplifying. But, is there a way to simplify the expression algebraically without expanding any series?Here's my attempt:
$$\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[(-1)^nx^n+x^n\right] \,dx$$
$$\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\left[\left(-1)^n+1\right)\right] \,dx$$

I can't seem to get here:
$$\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2x^{2n} \,dx$$

Edit: I see that $\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\left[\left(-1)^n+1\right)\right] \,dx$ in my attempt above contains only even values of $n$, since the odd values are 0. Could the key step be realizing that and multiplying $n$ by two?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of the terms where $n$ is odd are zero, so you only need consider when $n$ is even. So, that's why $2n$ is used. :D

Rido12 said:
I encountered this expression while trying o express $f(x)=\ln\left({\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)$ in terms of a power series:

$$\int \left[ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n x^n + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n\right] \,dx$$
The book simplifies this expression as $\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2x^{2n} \,dx$ by expanding the above two series and simplifying. But, is there a way to simplify the expression algebraically without expanding any series?Here's my attempt:
$$\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left[(-1)^nx^n+x^n\right] \,dx$$
$$\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\left[\left(-1)^n+1\right)\right] \,dx$$

I can't seem to get here:
$$\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}2x^{2n} \,dx$$

Edit: I see that $\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\left[\left(-1)^n+1\right)\right] \,dx$ in my attempt above contains only even values of $n$, since the odd values are 0. Could the key step be realizing that and multiplying $n$ by two?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( \frac{1 + x}{1 - x} \right) } \equiv \ln{ \left( 1 + x \right) } - \ln{ \left( 1 - x \right) } \end{align*}$

Now notice $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x } \left[ \ln{ \left( 1 + x \right) } \right] = \frac{1}{1 + x} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left[ \ln{ \left( 1 - x \right) } \right] = -\frac{1}{1 - x} \end{align*}$. Each of those expressions is the closed form of a geometric series...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 + x} &= \frac{1}{1 - \left( -x \right) } \\ &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \left( -x \right) ^n } \textrm{ for } \left| - x \right| < 1 \\ &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} { \left( -1 \right) ^n \, x^n } \textrm{ for } \left| x \right| < 1 \end{align*}$

so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 + x \right) } &= \int{ \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{\left( -1 \right) ^n \, x^n } \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \frac{ \left( -1 \right) ^n \, x^{n + 1}}{n + 1} } + C \textrm{ also for } \left| x \right| < 1 \end{align*}$

and because we know $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{(1)} = 0 \end{align*}$, when we let $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0 \end{align*}$ we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 + 0 \right) } &= \sum_{n =0}^{\infty} { \frac{\left( -1 \right) ^n \, 0^{n + 1}}{n + 1} } + C \\ \ln{(1)} &= 0 + C \\ 0 &= C \end{align*}$

and thus $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 + x \right) } = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \frac{ \left( -1 \right) ^n \, x^{n + 1} }{n + 1} } \end{align*}$ which is convergent for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| x \right| < 1 \end{align*}$.Now follow a similar process to get a series for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{1}{1 - x} \end{align*}$, integrate it to get a series for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 - x \right) } \end{align*}$, and then see what you get for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 1 + x \right) } - \ln{ \left( 1 - x \right) } \end{align*}$.

Related to Simplying Summation Expression

What is a summation expression?

A summation expression is a mathematical expression that represents the addition of a series of terms. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) followed by the terms to be added. For example, Σn from 1 to 5 would represent 1+2+3+4+5.

Why is simplifying summation expressions important?

Simplifying summation expressions can help make them easier to understand and work with. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different terms in the expression.

What are some common techniques for simplifying summation expressions?

Some common techniques for simplifying summation expressions include using known summation formulas, factoring, and rewriting the expression in a different form.

How do I know when I have simplified a summation expression enough?

There is no set rule for when a summation expression is considered "simplified enough". It ultimately depends on the context and purpose of the expression. However, a simplified summation expression should be easier to evaluate and should reveal any underlying patterns or relationships in the terms.

Can summation expressions be simplified algebraically?

Yes, summation expressions can be simplified algebraically using various algebraic techniques such as distributing, combining like terms, and factoring. However, some summation expressions may not have a simplified form and may require numerical evaluation.