Simplifying Trigonometric Integrals

In summary, the integral to be evaluated is $$ \int sin^2(\pi x) cos^5 (\pi x) dx $$ and the attempt at a solution involves splitting the cosine term and using u-substitution, but a suitable substitution is yet to be determined.
Yae Miteo

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

[tex] \int sin^2(\pi x) cos^5 (\pi x) dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried first by splitting the cosine up

[tex] \int sin^2(x) [1-cos^2(x)] cos^2(x) cos(x) dx [/tex] and from there use u-substitution. However, I am not sure what to substitute. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yae Miteo said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

[tex] \int sin^2(\pi x) cos^5 (\pi x) dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried first by splitting the cosine up

[tex] \int sin^2(x) [1-cos^2(x)] cos^2(x) cos(x) dx [/tex] and from there use u-substitution. However, I am not sure what to substitute. Any ideas?

$$ \int sin^2(\pi x) cos^5 (\pi x) dx $$
$$ = \int sin^2(\pi x) cos^4 (\pi x) cos(\pi x) dx $$
$$ = \int sin^2(\pi x) (1 - sin^2(\pi x))^2 cos(\pi x) dx $$

Since the power of sin was even and cos was odd, you should save a factor of ##cos(x)## and convert the remaining ##cos^2(x)## terms to their ##1 - sin^2(x)## equivalents.

Can you see a substitution from here that would help?

Likes 1 person

Related to Simplifying Trigonometric Integrals

1. What is a trigonometric integral?

A trigonometric integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These integrals are used to solve problems related to triangles and circular functions.

2. Why are trigonometric integrals challenging?

Trigonometric integrals can be challenging because they often involve complex trigonometric identities and require multiple steps to solve. Additionally, there are many different methods for solving these integrals, so it can be difficult to determine the most efficient approach.

3. How do I solve a trigonometric integral?

There are several methods for solving trigonometric integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. The best approach will depend on the specific integral you are trying to solve, so it is important to have a strong understanding of these techniques.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric integral?

While some calculators have the ability to solve basic trigonometric integrals, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving these integrals. Relying solely on a calculator can lead to errors and hinder your understanding of the material.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving motion, sound, and electrical circuits, among others. They are also essential in fields such as astronomy and navigation.