Simplifying trig expression

In summary, to simplify \cot(\frac{2\pi}{3} - x), we can use the identity \tan(A - B) = \frac{\tan A - \tan B}{1 + \tan A\tan B}. Using this, we can rewrite \cot(\frac{2\pi}{3} - x) as \frac{\sqrt{3}\tan x - 1}{\tan x + \sqrt{3}}.
hatelove
I have to simplify (or get it in terms of tan I guess?) [tex]\cot (\frac{2\pi }{3} - x)[/tex]

R08ta.png

I'm not sure how to get the reference angle and subtract the angle 'x' from it to get an expressional value...how would I do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, daigo!

[tex]\text{Simplify: }\:\cot(\tfrac{2\pi}{3} - x)[/tex]

[tex]\text{Identity: }\:\tan(A - B) \;=\;\frac{\tan A - \tan B}{1 + \tan A\tan B}[/tex]

[tex]\cot(\tfrac{2\pi}{3} - x) \;=\;\frac{1}{\tan(\frac{2\pi}{3} - x)} \;=\;\frac{1 + \tan\frac{2\pi}{3}\tan x}{\tan\frac{2\pi}{3} - \tan x} [/tex]

. . . . . . . . .[tex]=\; \frac{1 + (\text{-}\sqrt{3})\tan x}{(\text{-}\sqrt{3}) - \tan x} \;=\; \frac{1 - \sqrt{3}\tan x}{\text{-}\sqrt{3} - \tan x}[/tex]

. . . . . . . . .[tex]=\; \frac{\sqrt{3}\tan x - 1}{\tan x + \sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Related to Simplifying trig expression

1. How do you simplify a trig expression?

To simplify a trig expression, you need to follow the order of operations, which is parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and then addition and subtraction. You should also use trigonometric identities and properties to help simplify the expression.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities used to simplify expressions?

Some common trigonometric identities used to simplify expressions include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

3. Is there a specific method for simplifying trig expressions?

Yes, there are specific methods for simplifying trig expressions, such as using trigonometric identities and properties, factoring, and combining like terms. It is important to follow the order of operations and use the appropriate identities to simplify the expression.

4. Can you provide an example of simplifying a trig expression?

For example, if we have the expression sin²x + cos²x, we can use the Pythagorean identity sin²x + cos²x = 1 to simplify it to 1. Another example is if we have the expression sin²x - sinx cosx, we can use the double angle identity sin²x = 1/2(1 - cos2x) to simplify it to 1/2(1 - cos2x) - sinx cosx.

5. Why is it important to simplify trig expressions?

Simplifying trig expressions can make them easier to work with and understand. It can also help solve more complex trigonometric equations and problems. Additionally, simplifying expressions can help identify patterns and relationships between different trig functions.