Simplifying the Integral of a Piece of Helix Using Stokes' Theorem

In summary: Pzl lx2 -yz y2 -xz...z2 -xy|i(0) -j(0) +k(0) = 0=> value of integral = 0|...i...j...k...l|...Px...Py ...Pz...||x^2-yz..y^2-xz..z^2-xy|The curl does not look right. You should get a vector, not a scalar. Also, it should be something like $$\nabla \times \vec F= \vec V$$where ##\vec V## is a vector field, not a vector.
ashina14

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral

(x2 − yz) dx + (y2 − xz) dy + (z2 − xy) dz, C(A→B)
where C(A → B) is a piece of the helix
x = a cos φ, y = a sin φ, z = h φ, (0 ≤ φ ≤ 2π),

connecting the points A(a, 0, 0) and B(a, 0, h).

Homework Equations

[Hint: The problem could be tackled in different ways and, for one of them, Stokes’ theorem might be of some relevance.]

The Attempt at a Solution

acosφ =a, asinφ=0 therefore after subbing in for x, y and z I get:

Integral= ∫ a4 dx -(a2h φ)/2pi dy + (h2 φ2)/ 4 pi2 dz

But not sure what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by ##acos\phi = a## and ##asin\phi = 0## -- those are just for ##\phi = 0##. After you substitute in for x, y, and z, you also want to substitute dx, dy, and dz in terms of ##d\phi##

Likes 1 person
ashina14 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral

(x2 − yz) dx + (y2 − xz) dy + (z2 − xy) dz, C(A→B)
where C(A → B) is a piece of the helix
x = a cos φ, y = a sin φ, z = h φ, (0 ≤ φ ≤ 2π),

connecting the points A(a, 0, 0) and B(a, 0, h).
Your very first problem is that B is not on this helix!
Of course, taking [itex]\phi= 0[/itex] gives [itex](a cos(0), a sin(0), h(0)= (a, 0, 0)= A[/itex]
But in order to have [itex]z= h\phi= h[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex] must be 1. But then [itex]x= a cos(1)[/itex] is NOT a and [itex]y= a sin(1)[/itex] is NOT 0!

Homework Equations

[Hint: The problem could be tackled in different ways and, for one of them, Stokes’ theorem might be of some relevance.]

acosφ =a, asinφ=0 therefore after subbing in for x, y and z I get:

Integral= ∫ a4 dx -(a2h φ)/2pi dy + (h2 φ2)/ 4 pi2 dz

But not sure what to do next

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Not sure how to go from there either, I am supposed to get a 0 in the end but am failing to do so. How could I do it with Stoke's thm instead?

This doesn't look like a Stoke's theorem problem. But you likely have a misprint in your parameterization$$
x = a \cos \phi, y = a \sin \phi, z = h\phi$$If you change the last equation to ##z = \frac h {2\pi}\phi##, that will make the point ##B## be on the curve at ##\phi = 2\pi##.

Likes 1 person
yes apparently it's a misprint! indeed z = hϕ/2π. I don't know the significance of B being the curve at ϕ=2π though.

ashina14 said:
yes apparently it's a misprint! indeed z = hϕ/2π. I don't know the significance of B being the curve at ϕ=2π though.

If you are going to integrate between two points on the curve, then they need to be on the curve, don't they?

Your problem has nothing to do with Stoke's theorem. As a hint at what to do, have you checked the curl ##\nabla\times\vec F##, where ##\vec F## is the vector in ##\int_c\vec F\cdot d\vec R~##?

Likes 1 person
Yes but I still don't feel the need to utilize the given points.

Here's a solution I've come up with

Changing the integrand in terms of
the angle @ through x=acos@; dx=-asin@d@, y=asin@;
dy=acos@d@, z=h@/(2pi); dz=hd@/(2pi), get

I [from @=0 to @=2pi]S[(a^2)cos^2@-ah@sin@/(2pi)]
(-asin@d@)+[(a^2)sin^2@-ah@cos@/(2pi)](...
+[(h@/(2pi))^2-(a^2)sin@cos@][hd@/(2pi)...

I=[from @=0 to @=2pi]S{[(a^3)(sin^2@cos@-cos^2@sin@)
+(a^2)h/(2pi)(1-2cos^2@)+[(a^2)h/(2pi)(...
d@=>

I={from @=0 to 2pi][((a^3)/3)(sin^3@)-cos^3@)=>
I=0.

Unless I've missed out on something, I don't think I needed the points/curl

Although I see how it can be done with ∇×F⃗ , thanks!

ashina14 said:
Yes but I still don't feel the need to utilize the given points.

Of course you have to use the two points. If the values of ##\phi## of ##0## and ##2\pi## don't give the two points, you are working the wrong problem.

Here's a solution I've come up with

Changing the integrand in terms of
the angle @ through x=acos@; dx=-asin@d@, y=asin@;
dy=acos@d@, z=h@/(2pi); dz=hd@/(2pi), get

I [from @=0 to @=2pi]S[(a^2)cos^2@-ah@sin@/(2pi)]
(-asin@d@)+[(a^2)sin^2@-ah@cos@/(2pi)](...
+[(h@/(2pi))^2-(a^2)sin@cos@][hd@/(2pi)...

I=[from @=0 to @=2pi]S{[(a^3)(sin^2@cos@-cos^2@sin@)
+(a^2)h/(2pi)(1-2cos^2@)+[(a^2)h/(2pi)(...
d@=>

I={from @=0 to 2pi][((a^3)/3)(sin^3@)-cos^3@)=>
I=0.

Unless I've missed out on something, I don't think I needed the points/curl

Trying to read that gives me a headache. All I can tell you is that zero is not the correct answer. And if you would think about my hint there is a much easier way.

Yes they give the same two points. I don't need to explicitly use the points I feel though. Sorry for giving you a headache! Doing it your way is much shorter indeed but it's still giving me an answer of zero:

Taking vector F = (x2 -yz) i + (y2 -xz) j + (z2 -xy)

so, taking cross product,
▽ x F = l i j k l
l Px Py Pzl
lx2 -yz y2 -xz z2 -xyl

i(0) -j(0) +k(0) = 0

=> value of integral = 0

|...i...j...k...l
|...Px...Py...Pz...|
|x^2-yz..y^2-xz..z^2-xy|

better version of product

ashina14 said:
Yes they give the same two points. I don't need to explicitly use the points I feel though. Sorry for giving you a headache! Doing it your way is much shorter indeed but it's still giving me an answer of zero:

Taking vector F = (x2 -yz) i + (y2 -xz) j + (z2 -xy)

so, taking cross product,
▽ x F = l i j k l
l Px Py Pzl
lx2 -yz y2 -xz z2 -xyl

i(0) -j(0) +k(0) = 0

=> value of integral = 0

ashina14 said:
|...i...j...k...l
|...Px...Py...Pz...|
|x^2-yz..y^2-xz..z^2-xy|

better version of product

The curl of ##\vec F## being zero does not mean ##\int_C \vec F\cdot d\vec R=0## along every path ##C##. But it does imply some things that can simplify your problem, not to mention help you get the correct answer. What does your book tell you about this situation?

Related to Simplifying the Integral of a Piece of Helix Using Stokes' Theorem

1. What is the meaning of the term "integral of piece of helix"?

The integral of a piece of helix refers to the mathematical calculation of the area under a section of a helix curve. This calculation is an essential part of understanding the properties and behavior of helix curves in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is the integral of piece of helix calculated?

The integral of a piece of helix can be calculated using various methods, such as the Riemann sum, the trapezoidal rule, or the Simpson's rule. These methods involve breaking down the helix curve into smaller segments and approximating the area under each segment. The sum of these approximations gives an estimate of the total area under the helix curve.

3. What are the real-world applications of the integral of piece of helix?

The integral of piece of helix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a helical spring, the bending stress on a helical gear, or the curvature of a DNA molecule.

4. Are there any special techniques for calculating the integral of piece of helix?

Yes, there are some specialized techniques for calculating the integral of a piece of helix. One such technique is the cylindrical coordinate system, which is commonly used in engineering and physics to simplify the calculation of helix integrals.

5. Can the integral of piece of helix be applied to non-circular helices?

Yes, the integral of piece of helix can be applied to helices of any shape, as long as the curve can be defined mathematically. This includes non-circular helices, such as elliptical or parabolic helices, which are often encountered in real-world applications.