Simplifying the Derivative of a Complex Rational Function

In summary, the derivative of y=(sqrt(8x^4-5))/ (x-1) is (32x^4sqrt(8x^4-5)-64x^3sqrt(8x^4-5)) / (16x^6-32x^5+ 16x^4-10x^2+20x-10) after using logarithmic differentiation. The previous attempt at using the chain rule and quotient rule did not result in the correct derivative.
mattmannmf
find derivative of

y=(sqrt(8x^4-5))/ (x-1)

ok...after working out the tricky calculations i get for my final answer:

(32x^4sqrt(8x^4-5)-64x^3sqrt(8x^4-5)) / (16x^6-32x^5+ 16x^4-10x^2+20x-10)

I don't know if you want to do the math...im just wondering if i can simplify it anymore. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you didn't do this problem the way you were supposed to. Judging by the title of the thread, you are supposed to do logarithmic differentiation, and I don't see any evidence that you have done this. Instead, it looks like you used the chain rule first and then the quotient rule.

[tex]y~=~\sqrt{\frac{8x^4 - 5}{x - 1}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow ln(y)~=~ln \left(\sqrt{\frac{8x^4 - 5}{x - 1}}\right )[/tex]
Use the properties of logarithms to write the right side as a difference, and then differentiate with respect to x.

well what i did was (going from your previous equation):

ln(y)= ln(sqrt(8x^4-5)) - ln(x-1)...then i just took the derivative and it pretty much eliminated all the ln

well what i did was (going from your previous equation):

ln(y)= ln(sqrt(8x^4-5)) - ln(x-1)...then i just took the derivative and it pretty much eliminated all the ln

On the left side of the equation you should get 1/y * y'. Did you forget to use the chain rule?

oh no...i added that... i just forgot to put it up in my above equation

What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to differentiate functions that involve products, quotients, or powers of variables. It involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of an equation and then using the properties of logarithms to simplify the resulting expression before taking the derivative.

Why is logarithmic differentiation useful?

Logarithmic differentiation is useful because it allows us to differentiate functions that are difficult to differentiate using traditional methods. It is particularly helpful for functions involving products, quotients, or powers, as well as for functions with multiple variables.

When should logarithmic differentiation be used?

Logarithmic differentiation should be used when traditional differentiation methods, such as the power rule or product rule, are not applicable or would result in a complicated expression. It is also useful when the function involves multiple variables or when the goal is to find the derivative of a function raised to a power.

What are the steps for performing logarithmic differentiation?

The steps for performing logarithmic differentiation are as follows:

1. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation.
  2. Use the properties of logarithms to simplify the resulting expression.
  3. Take the derivative of both sides of the equation.
  4. Solve for the derivative of the original function.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using logarithmic differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using logarithmic differentiation include forgetting to take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, incorrectly applying the properties of logarithms, and not simplifying the resulting expression before taking the derivative. It is also important to check your final answer to ensure that it is equivalent to the derivative of the original function.