Simplifying Summation Algebra with Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a fraction of sums involving xn terms and the desire to simplify it. The possibility of cancelling xn terms is mentioned, but ultimately, it is determined that this is not allowed and a different approach is suggested.
crazycool2
Hi, I'm working with series solutions of differential equations and I have come across something that has troubled me other courses as well. given that
\begin{equation}
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_{n+2}x^n+e^{-x} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^n \\
\text{where}\\
e^{-x}=\frac{1}{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}}\\
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_{n+2}x^n+\frac{ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^n }{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}}
\end{equation}
now my problem is I have the xn in every term and the limits are the same, but I have a fraction of sums and I want to a way to make it simpler. can the xn cancel each other in the fraction. if so
i then have
\begin{equation}
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_{n+2}x^n+ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n*n!
\end{equation}
Is this even allowed?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
crazycool2 said:
Hi, I'm working with series solutions of differential equations and I have come across something that has troubled me other courses as well. given that
\begin{equation}
\text{where}\\
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_{n+2}x^n+\frac{ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_{n}x^n }{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}}
\end{equation}
now my problem is I have the xn in every term and the limits are the same, but I have a fraction of sums and I want to a way to make it simpler. can the xn cancel each other in the fraction. if so
i then have
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
Is this even allowed?
No, this is not correct.

You can see this even by just looking at three terms: there is no reason why
##\frac{c_0+c_1x +c_2x²}{1+x+x²/2}=c_0+c_1 +c_2 2##
would be correct in general.

crazycool2 said:
\begin{equation}
\text{where}\\
\end{equation}
i then have
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
Is this even allowed?
No. Cancelling works when the same factor appears in both numerator and denominator.

crazycool2 said:
Is this even allowed?
Hi crazycool2:

NO!

Take a look at making your cancellation with respect to a similar finite sum.

(a +bx+cx2) / (1 + x/1 + x2/2) =? (a+b+c)/(1+1+1/2)​

I understand that this insight will not help you simplify the DE solution you have. I am not sure what kind of simplification you need, but I suggest you start by combining the two sums into one. To do this first rewrite the first sum to be from 2 to ∞.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Simplifying Summation Algebra with Differential Equations

1. What is the purpose of simplifying summation algebra in differential equations?

The purpose of simplifying summation algebra in differential equations is to make complex mathematical expressions more manageable and easier to solve. By simplifying the summations, we can focus on the underlying patterns and relationships between variables, making it easier to analyze and solve the equations.

2. How do you simplify summation algebra in differential equations?

To simplify summation algebra in differential equations, we use various techniques such as expanding and factoring, using known identities and properties of summations, and applying algebraic manipulations. We also use techniques specific to differential equations, such as integration and differentiation, to simplify the expressions.

3. Can simplifying summation algebra change the solution to a differential equation?

Yes, simplifying summation algebra can change the solution to a differential equation. By simplifying the expression, we may be able to reduce the complexity of the equation and find a solution that was not apparent before. However, it is important to note that simplifying the algebraic expression does not change the underlying equation, so the solutions obtained will still be valid.

4. Why is it important to simplify summation algebra in differential equations?

Simplifying summation algebra in differential equations is important because it can help us understand the behavior of the system described by the equation. By simplifying the expression, we can identify key variables and relationships, which can provide insight into the dynamics of the system. It also makes it easier to solve the equation and obtain a solution.

5. Are there any limitations to simplifying summation algebra in differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to simplifying summation algebra in differential equations. In some cases, the expressions may be too complex to simplify, or the simplification may lead to an incorrect solution. Additionally, simplifying too much may result in losing important information about the system, so it is important to strike a balance between simplifying and retaining relevant information.