Simplifying ln: A Calculus Struggle

In summary: I figured the question out! A little review and that hint helped me out quite a bit! Like I said in my post, I am a little rusty with this subject! Thank you for your help :)
Tweedybird

Homework Statement

Simplify
ln [(e^1-3ln2)/(2∏/e)]

Homework Equations

I was using the equation e^lnx = x to try and simplify the numerator, but I am unsure if that is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very rusty with my calculus and when it comes to using ln, I tend to get stumped with the question.
I had simplified the numerator to -5 using e^lnx = x, but I was very unsure if this is correct; I may be making up rules of my own.
The denominator was simplified to 2∏(e^-1)
The entire fraction was then ln (-5/(2∏(e^-1)) and I couldn't figure out what to do next with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tweedybird said:

Homework Statement

Simplify
ln [(e^1-3ln2)/(2∏/e)]

Homework Equations

I was using the equation e^lnx = x to try and simplify the numerator, but I am unsure if that is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very rusty with my calculus and when it comes to using ln, I tend to get stumped with the question.
I had simplified the numerator to -5 using e^lnx = x, but I was very unsure if this is correct; I may be making up rules of my own.
The denominator was simplified to 2∏(e^-1)
The entire fraction was then ln (-5/(2∏(e^-1)) and I couldn't figure out what to do next with this.
Hello Tweedybird. Welcome to PF !

If what you have is indeed
[itex]\displaystyle \ln \left(\frac{e^1-3\ln(2)}{2\pi/e}\right)[/itex]​
then you are very far off.

Perhaps you meant
[itex]\displaystyle \ln \left(\frac{e^{1-3\ln(2)}}{2\pi/e}\right)\ .[/itex]​

Well ... there's still a problem.

SammyS said:
Hello Tweedybird. Welcome to PF !

If what you have is indeed
[itex]\displaystyle \ln \left(\frac{e^1-3\ln(2)}{2\pi/e}\right)[/itex]​
then you are very far off.

Perhaps you meant
[itex]\displaystyle \ln \left(\frac{e^{1-3\ln(2)}}{2\pi/e}\right)\ .[/itex]​

Well ... there's still a problem.

The second one is exactly the question I need help with! Sorry for the confusion, but I'm not sure why there is a problem with it, it is in my textbook as a question to be simplified!

Tweedybird said:
The second one is exactly the question I need help with! Sorry for the confusion, but I'm not sure why there is a problem with it, it is in my textbook as a question to be simplified!
Review properties of logarithms & exponents.

One property that you may find helpful is:
[itex]\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)=\ln(A)-\ln(B)[/itex]​

SammyS said:
Review properties of logarithms & exponents.

One property that you may find helpful is:
[itex]\displaystyle \ln\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)=\ln(A)-\ln(B)[/itex]​

I figured the question out! A little review and that hint helped me out quite a bit! Like I said in my post, I am a little rusty with this subject! Thank you for your help :)

Related to Simplifying ln: A Calculus Struggle

1. What is the natural logarithm (ln)?

The natural logarithm is a type of logarithm that is used to solve exponential equations and represents the inverse of the exponential function. It is denoted by the symbol "ln" and is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. Why is simplifying ln important in calculus?

Simplifying ln is important in calculus because it allows us to integrate and differentiate complex functions involving logarithms. By simplifying ln, we can reduce a complicated problem to a simpler form and make it easier to solve using calculus techniques.

3. What are the basic rules for simplifying ln?

The basic rules for simplifying ln include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b), the quotient rule states that ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b), and the power rule states that ln(a^b) = b*ln(a).

4. How do I simplify ln expressions with complex arguments?

To simplify ln expressions with complex arguments, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. For example, if you have ln(e^x), you can use the fact that ln(e) = 1 to simplify it to just x.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying ln?

One common mistake to avoid when simplifying ln is forgetting to include the absolute value symbol when dealing with negative arguments. This is necessary because the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers, so the absolute value ensures that we get a positive result. Additionally, it is important to be careful with the properties of logarithms and make sure that you are applying them correctly.