Is There a Connection Between UFO Sightings and Cultural Ideas?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation took place on the topic of numerology and its scientific validity. The conversation included a discussion on whether it was appropriate for a mentor at a physics forum to promote numerology and if science should play a role in debunking it. The mentor clarified that he does not promote these ideas, but rather posts facts and information for discussion. The conversation also touched on other topics such as UFOs and the idea of conducting practical research to settle debates.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ever since Kirron Kher tacked the extra letter on to her name, she's been on a winning spree," claims numerologist Sanjay B Jumaani, who cautions you to spell Ms Kher's cosmetically enhanced name as well as his own "correctly". "Her best actress award at Locarno is only the latest laurel.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=139589

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unscientific claims.

There's no control so it's completely null.

I am unsure as to why a mentor at a physics forums is promoting this?

I mean are you claiming this to be anything other than complete B.S.? I just have no idea.

Numerology has been debunked so many times it's just not funny anymore.

biology, ivan contributes a lot of interesting tidbits here-regardless of the scientific validity...thus, that is why he is a mentor and a mentor for the mystics forum :)

Originally posted by BiologyForums
I am unsure as to why a mentor at a physics forums is promoting this?

Note the name of the forum: Mystics and Pseudo Science.

I don't promote these ideas. I post facts and information so that people like you can have your say. :smile:

Should I decide what is and is not truth?

Edit: thanks Kerrie. I almost commented further that you and I might have different ideas about what belongs here and not; as might Integral and I.

Last edited:
Ok Ivan - I just was not sure if you were posting these as a mentor because you thought they were true.

And I didn't know if the fact that science has quite dealt with some of these issues to death has any bearing here at all.

So should I or should I not post scientific proofs that disprove some of these things?

Ok Ivan - I just was not sure if you were posting these as a mentor because you thought they were true.

And I didn't know if the fact that science has quite dealt with some of these issues to death has any bearing here at all.

So should I or should I not post scientific proofs that disprove some of these things?

I would love nothing better than some dedicated debunking. Please feel free to use and add to the debunking Napster also.

Also, your personal opinions are welcome in addition to logical arguments and scientific information.

Edit: I should add that when the occasional story comes along that does truly challenge our scientific conventions, only with our skeptical friends can we best consider the evidence with a critical eye.

Last edited:
Ok I didn't want to feel like an ass if science was not welcome in this part...

What's the debunking napster?

Ok I didn't want to feel like an ass if science was not welcome in this part...

What's the debunking napster?

If you look at the top of the page of this forum, you will find four "sticky" threads - they stay at the top of the page. One is called the "Debunking Napster." This is intended as a library for skeptic's sites, quotes, and other debunking links. This is intended for general use and as a reserve of ammo for you to load into your 120mm science cannon.

You will also find the Baloney Hall of Fame. If you think that one or two stories qualify as truly memorable in their baloneyness , then just post the story to the Hall of Fame.

You will then find the UFO Napster. This is a library of information that I have put together for UFOs. I do argue that some UFOs are unexplainable using any known science. Note that I did not say ET.

Finally, we have a section for feedback and comments in general.

I think your last post brings us to a bit of a crossing.

When I was about 16, I spent probably a full intense year dealing with all things regarding aliens and of course UFOs.

I did extensive research, and had a massive outline from which I intended to compile all researched information into each aspect, such as UFO sightings, abductions, the government roswell thing, and some other common issue you're surely aware of.

I wasn't even into science then - I was into aliens. But I was actually debunking all the untestable stuff and the major goal of the book, after the debunk was the focus on areas where research indeed could be done.

I never claimed it would be profitable research, knowledge-wise, but more on the practically that it could be settled.

Anyhow - there are aspects of this that are indeed unanswered, and even to the most hardcore scientists (that'd be me) have absolutely no conclusion..

Anyhow - you know when I was at the same age, maybe 14 at least I had this idea.

For all the years people have dealt back and forth with this lochness monster crap - I said back then "If someone would just hook a damn lawn hose up to the damn lake, by the time people are STILL debating this the lake would be empty and we'd have our monster!"

I guess that was my first pragmatic quote :)

I think your last post brings us to a bit of a crossing.

When I was about 16, I spent probably a full intense year dealing with all things regarding aliens and of course UFOs.

I did extensive research, and had a massive outline from which I intended to compile all researched information into each aspect, such as UFO sightings, abductions, the government roswell thing, and some other common issue you're surely aware of.

I wasn't even into science then - I was into aliens. But I was actually debunking all the untestable stuff and the major goal of the book, after the debunk was the focus on areas where research indeed could be done.

I never claimed it would be profitable research, knowledge-wise, but more on the practically that it could be settled.

Anyhow - there are aspects of this that are indeed unanswered, and even to the most hardcore scientists (that'd be me) have absolutely no conclusion..

Anyhow - you know when I was at the same age, maybe 14 at least I had this idea.

For all the years people have dealt back and forth with this lochness monster crap - I said back then "If someone would just hook a damn lawn hose up to the damn lake, by the time people are STILL debating this the lake would be empty and we'd have our monster!"

I guess that was my first pragmatic quote :)

Excellent! I think you will enjoy the UFO Napster then also. This represents a good percentage of what I have learned after 15 years of work [of course just as a hobby but for many many thousands of hours to be sure]. The deeper I got into this stuff, the less I could let it go. I just could not dismiss some of the sources and events. Note however that I am very open to other ideas on which we may find less agreement.

Since this is your thread I guess going onward won't bother you as "off topic".

One other statement I had made in the full written part, after I had done the outline, was that while most serious organisations look in space for UFOs, not a single UFO or alien has been seen or thought to be seen in space. And yet while all UFO and alien sightings (even if false) occur within our atmosphere, and it lies as logical to look "in here".

Now, there was one incident where an astronaut did see and record a strange interaction of distant objects in space, which were between the window he viewed from and Earth...You've probably seen that famous footage.

At first there is the obvious continuity in what aliens look like to those who see them. The classic Grey (and from what I remember there was talk of this smaller version, I believe they were another color, that were thought by some to be the subservient of the two - either different races or perhaps different sexes). Anyhow - it normally makes one wonder why they look the same all around the world.

But then if one looks into the types of specific delusions that psychiatric patients experience we find that mythology, pop culture fiction, and folklore play an enormous role in what patients in an area experience.

For instance in areas where stories originate of werewolves and vampires we find patients have a high % of having delusions that they are these things.

And in America, where we have, since the 70's, had an enormous clutural concept of an all seeing "Big Brother" we see that indeed our countries patients who have delusions often believe that the government, and usually the CIA, are after them.

You do not see this in, say, England. Patients do not believe the british secret service is after them.

So anyhow, peoples mental addition - if we want be so nice - do carry similiarities which reflect culture. And let's face it these days the Earth certainly has some universal cultural ideas.

One area that I felt was better was the video tapes.

For instance infamous 17 (or so?) configured lights hovering over Pheonix I believe it was, filmed by some 8+ separate locations all around the area?

Boy this brings back the days of being in my small bedroom that was really a dining room with sliding doors that made for 100% no privacy, reading my thick books by ex-FBI agents "telling the truth" about roswell....

Related to Is There a Connection Between UFO Sightings and Cultural Ideas?

1. What is Numerology?

Numerology is a belief system that assigns meaning and significance to numbers, particularly in relation to a person's life and personality. It is often used as a tool for divination and self-discovery.

2. Is Numerology considered a legitimate science?

No, Numerology is not considered a legitimate science. It is a pseudoscience, meaning that it claims to be based on scientific principles but lacks the empirical evidence to support its claims.

3. Can Numerology accurately predict the future?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that Numerology can accurately predict the future. While some people may claim to have had accurate predictions using Numerology, these are often subjective and can be attributed to coincidence or the power of suggestion.

4. How is Numerology different from other forms of divination?

Numerology is unique in that it is based on a specific set of numbers and their meanings, while other forms of divination such as astrology or tarot use a wider range of symbols and interpretations. Additionally, Numerology relies on calculations and mathematical formulas, whereas other forms of divination may rely more on intuition or psychic abilities.

5. Are there any benefits to studying Numerology?

While Numerology may not be scientifically proven, some people find that studying and practicing it can be a helpful tool for self-discovery and personal growth. It can also serve as a way to gain insight into patterns and themes in one's life and relationships.

Back