Simplifying a Product of Sequences

The fact that the "i" in the numerator goes from 1 to "i" while the "i" in the denominator goes from 2 to "i" is a minor detail that does not change the pattern.
Euler2718

Homework Statement

[/B]
Simplify:

[tex] \frac{5\cdot 8\cdot 11 \cdots (3i+2)}{2\cdot 5 \cdot 8 \cdots (3i-1)} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize the numerator and denominator terms cancel besides the 2, however I'm struggling to write this in a proper form. Only just started sequences, haven't introduced infinite products or sigmas, or anything along those lines. Some insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Morgan Chafe said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Simplify:

[tex] \frac{5\cdot 8\cdot 11 \cdots (3i+2)}{2\cdot 5 \cdot 8 \cdots (3i-1)} [/tex]

Homework Equations

I realize the numerator and denominator terms cancel besides the 2, however I'm struggling to write this in a proper form. Only just started sequences, haven't introduced infinite products or sigmas, or anything along those lines. Some insight would be appreciated.

Just the two?

Likes Euler2718
What do you mean by "proper form"?

Morgan Chafe said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Simplify:

Homework Equations

You say you realize that the numerator and denominator terms cancel, but I don't understand what is preventing you from just going ahead and cancelling them.

Likes Euler2718
Student100 said:
Just the two?
I was thinking,

[tex] \frac{3i+2}{2} [/tex]

Because the previous term of the numerator should cancel with the 3i-1 as the pattern suggests.

Morgan Chafe said:
I was thinking,

[tex] \frac{3i+2}{2} [/tex]

Because the previous term of the numerator should cancel with the 3i-1 as the pattern suggests.

Okay, that's what you meant, not ##\frac{1}{2}##. That's it.

Likes Euler2718
Student100 said:
Okay, that's what you meant, not ##\frac{1}{2}##. That's it.

Thanks. Been a bit sick lately; really appreciate the help on this forum.

Morgan Chafe said:
Thanks. Been a bit sick lately; really appreciate the help on this forum.

If you need to prove it to yourself take the first 5 terms of the sequence, and simplify. Then take i = 5 and put it into the expression you just wrote. It'll be the same. What kind of insights were you looking for?

Likes Euler2718
Student100 said:
If you need to prove it to yourself take the first 5 terms of the sequence, and simplify. Then take i = 5 and put it into the expression you just wrote. It'll be the same. What kind of insights were you looking for?

Maybe insights wasn't the proper word. I was at it a while getting no-where so I was hoping for a kick in the right direction, as was the case.

The crucial "insight" is that 3(i- 1)+ 2= 3i- 3+ 2= 3i- 1 so that, yes, the only difference between the sums in the numerator and the denominator is that the denominator starts with "2" that the numerator does not have and that the numerator ends with 3i+ 2 that the denominator does not have. Everything else cancels.

Likes Euler2718

Related to Simplifying a Product of Sequences

What does it mean to "simplify" an expression?

Simplifying an expression means to manipulate the given expression in order to make it easier to understand or solve. This usually involves combining like terms, simplifying fractions, and using the correct order of operations.

Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions allows us to solve problems more efficiently and accurately. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different mathematical concepts.

What are the steps involved in simplifying an expression?

The steps involved in simplifying an expression may vary depending on the specific expression, but generally they include: 1) Combining like terms, 2) Simplifying fractions, 3) Distributing and factoring, and 4) Using the correct order of operations.

Can you simplify any type of expression?

In theory, any expression can be simplified. However, some expressions may be too complex to simplify by hand and may require the use of more advanced mathematical concepts or computer programs.

How can simplifying expressions be useful in real-life situations?

Simplifying expressions can be useful in many real-life situations, such as budgeting, calculating discounts and sales, and solving problems in various fields of science and engineering.