Simple vector function problem, find slope of tangent?

In summary, the curve r = (t2,t3-t) intersects itself at (1,0) and the slope of the tangents at this point is equal to dy/dx, which can be evaluated at the given coordinates.

Homework Statement

Show that the curve r = (t2,t3-t) Intersects itself at (1,0), and find the slopes of the tangents at this point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I can show it intersects itself there, but what I am having trouble with is when they say slopes of the tangents at this point .What do they mean? The wording sort of confused me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rounded 2∏,
How did you show they intersect ?
I don't see anything wrong in the wording, so I just want to make sure you got it right from the beginning.
If you did, well, the slope is dy/dx which you should be able to evaluate simply at those two "events".

Cheers...

Related to Simple vector function problem, find slope of tangent?

What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more variables and outputs a vector as its result. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement and changes of objects in space or time.

How do you find the slope of a tangent for a vector function?

To find the slope of a tangent for a vector function, you first need to differentiate the function with respect to the variable in question. Then, plug in the value of the variable at the point where you want to find the slope. The resulting value is the slope of the tangent at that point.

What is the significance of finding the slope of a tangent for a vector function?

The slope of a tangent for a vector function represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its future values.

Can the slope of a tangent be negative?

Yes, the slope of a tangent can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, and the tangent line is sloping downwards.

How is the slope of a tangent related to the derivative of a vector function?

The slope of a tangent is equal to the value of the derivative at that point. This means that the derivative of a vector function tells us the slope of the tangent at any given point along the function.