Simple Trig Limit: Evaluate lim x->0 of (1-cos4x)/9x^2

In summary, the limit in question has the form 0/0 and requires the use of L'Hopital's rule or a power series expansion of cos(x). Without these tools, a trick using a double angle formula and the limit law for sin(x) can be used to solve it. This problem serves as a reminder to carefully consider all possible approaches when solving limit problems.
L4N0

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limits that exist:

lim x->0 of [tex]\frac{1-cos4x}{9x^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

lim x->0 [tex]\frac{1-cosax}{ax}[/tex] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've got this
[tex]\frac{4x}{9x^{2}}\frac{1-cos4x}{4x}[/tex]
The second part has a limit of 0 but I don't know what to do about the first fraction. To me it looks undefined but according to some java applet I found on the internet the limit should be 8/9. What's the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit has the form 0/0. That suggests you use L'Hopital's rule. Alternatively, if you know the power series expansion of cos(x)=1-x^2/2!+x^4/3!-..., you could substitute x->4x and use that.

Last edited:
Thank you. So far we are in Ch 2. so we haven't done L'Hopital's rule or power series. I guess saying it is undefined is enough for now.

The trouble with that is that is IS defined. If you can't use those, then you have to use tricks. Try a double angle formula like cos(2x)=1-2*sin(x)^2. Use that to express cos(4x). Then use lim x->0 sin(ax)/(ax)=1. I'm guessing you do know that from the relevant equation you posted.

oops, I got confused a bit...
Anyways, I used your suggestion and solved it.
Thanks again.

L4N0 said:
oops, I got confused a bit...
Anyways, I used your suggestion and solved it.
Thanks again.

Very sneaky little problem: the limit law it looks the most obvious to use is the wrong one!. Keep these kinds of manipulations in mind on exam problems...

Related to Simple Trig Limit: Evaluate lim x->0 of (1-cos4x)/9x^2

1. What is a simple trig limit with cos?

A simple trig limit with cos refers to a limit involving a trigonometric function cosine (cos). This type of limit is typically found in calculus and involves evaluating the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value.

2. How do you solve a simple trig limit with cos?

To solve a simple trig limit with cos, you can use basic trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations to simplify the expression. It is also helpful to use the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule in certain cases.

3. What is the difference between a simple trig limit with cos and other types of limits?

A simple trig limit with cos involves a trigonometric function, while other types of limits may involve exponential, logarithmic, or polynomial functions. The approach to solving these limits may vary, but the underlying principles of calculus still apply.

4. Can a simple trig limit with cos have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple trig limit with cos can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values at certain intervals. Therefore, a limit involving a trigonometric function may have multiple solutions depending on the interval of interest.

5. How is a simple trig limit with cos used in real life?

Simple trig limits with cos are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze real-life situations involving periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the fluctuations of stock prices.