Simple seperable Diff EQ w/ I.C., did i make an algebra error?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the solution of a differential equation and determining the value of the constant C. Various tips were given, including the correct use of notation and the importance of solving for C before attempting to find the general solution. In the end, the issue was resolved and the correct solution is y = (e^(x^5 + 9/5))^(1/5).
mr_coffee
I'm lost on this one, i checked my problem over a few times and i don't see any algebraic errors, did i break some rule? Thanks! :smile:

Find the solution of the differential equation
(ln(y))^4*{dy}/{dx} = x^4 y
which satisfies the initial condition y(1)=e^2.
y= ?

Here is my work:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2868/lastscan9oj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Line 4 is bad notation; line 5 is utterly wrong.
Learn the difference between + and * and when they appear.

Again! ea+b is NOT ea+ eb!

By the way, it is easier to find C by putting y= e2 and x= 1 in
(1/5)(ln y)5= (1/5)x5+ C, before trying to solve for y.

Thanks for the tips guys, I thought I redid it right this time but no! :bugeye:
Here is what I did, i also took Ivey's advice and solved for C, and yes it was easier! thanks!
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/674/lastscan4ux.jpg

Your general solution looks ok, so we have that:

[tex]y^5 = e^{x^5 + 5c} \Leftrightarrow y = \left( {e^{x^5 + 5c} } \right)^{1/5} [/tex]

Now this is where you determine your c, I don't really understand why you used an expression of a few steps before, c = 0 isn't right.

[tex]y\left( 1 \right) = e^2 \Leftrightarrow e^2 = \left( {e^{1 + 5c} } \right)^{1/5} \Leftrightarrow 2 = \frac{{1 + 5c}}
{5} \Leftrightarrow c = \frac{9}{5}[/tex]

In your post #4, (page(13)

3 rd line is not right.

You have used [tex] ln (y^5) [/tex]

instead of [tex] (ln y)^5 [/tex]

[tex] (ln y)^5 = x^5 + 5C [/tex]

[tex] (ln y) = (x^5 + 5C)^{1/5} [/tex]

[tex] y = exp( x^5 + 5C)^{1/5}[/tex]

simplifying e^(x^5)*e^(5C) may help you easier.

Ahhh, thank you everyone! it finally worked out. Sorry I didn't post sooner, I've been busy busy! :)

Related to Simple seperable Diff EQ w/ I.C., did i make an algebra error?

1. What is a simple separable differential equation?

A simple separable differential equation is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that can be solved by separating the variables and integrating each side. It is written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) is a function of x and g(y) is a function of y.

2. What are initial conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the dependent variable (usually denoted as y) and its derivative (dy/dx) at a given starting point. These values are used to find the particular solution to a differential equation.

3. What are some common algebra errors made when solving simple separable differential equations?

Some common algebra errors include forgetting to apply the chain rule when integrating, making mistakes with signs, and forgetting to add the constant of integration. Another common error is not correctly isolating the dependent variable before integrating.

4. How can I check if I made an algebra error when solving a simple separable differential equation?

You can check for algebra errors by plugging your solution back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also try solving the equation using a different method to compare your solution.

5. What is the importance of checking for algebra errors when solving differential equations?

Checking for algebra errors is crucial because even a small mistake can lead to an incorrect solution. Differential equations are often used to model real-world phenomena, so it is important to have accurate solutions in order to make meaningful predictions and conclusions.