Simple probability distribution function on gnuplot

In summary, plotting a graph from a csv file in gnuplot requires specifying the columns using the "using" syntax. The data in the left column represents the x-axis values, while the data in the right column represents the y-axis values. It is also possible to customize the range of the axes using the "set xrange" and "set yrange" commands.
bert2612
Hi, I am trying to plot a graph I have made using excel on gnuplot. I have converted the excel book to a csv file and the data I have looks like this

and so on for 2048 different points.

The data in the left column goes from 0 to 2047, these represent each value in the x-axis
The data in the right column are the points I want to plot, all of them will be below 0.2 so I need my y-axis to range from 0 to 0.2.
I have tried putting this into gnuplot but when I do I just it just plots the values in the left column, so I end up with a straight line graph for y=x. I am new to this package so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!To plot this data in gnuplot, you need to specify the columns of your data using the "using" syntax. For example, if your data is stored in a file called "data.csv", you would use the following command: plot "data.csv" using 1:2 with linesThis tells gnuplot to plot the second column (the y-axis values) against the first column (the x-axis values) using lines. You can also customize the range of the axes with the "set xrange" and "set yrange" commands. For example, to set the y-axis range from 0 to 0.2, you would use the command: set yrange [0:0.2]

Related to Simple probability distribution function on gnuplot

1. What is a probability distribution function?

A probability distribution function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of occurrence of different possible outcomes in a random experiment. It maps each possible outcome to its corresponding probability, and the sum of all probabilities is equal to 1.

2. How can I plot a simple probability distribution function on gnuplot?

To plot a simple probability distribution function on gnuplot, you can use the "plot" command followed by the mathematical expression of the function. For example, the command "plot 0.5*exp(-0.5*x)" will plot the probability distribution function of the exponential distribution with a mean of 2.

3. What is the purpose of using gnuplot for probability distributions?

Gnuplot is a powerful tool for visualizing data, including probability distributions. It allows for easy and customizable plotting of various mathematical functions, making it a useful tool for analyzing and understanding probability distributions in a visual way.

4. Can I plot multiple probability distribution functions on the same graph using gnuplot?

Yes, you can plot multiple probability distribution functions on the same graph in gnuplot by using the "multiplot" command. This will allow you to plot and compare different distributions on one graph, making it easier to observe any similarities or differences between them.

5. Are there any limitations to plotting probability distribution functions on gnuplot?

While gnuplot is a powerful tool for plotting probability distribution functions, it may not be suitable for more complex distributions with a large number of parameters. In these cases, specialized software may be needed for accurate and efficient plotting.