Simple Pendulum - Linear Second-Order Equation

In summary, in this conversation, the discussion of a simple pendulum consisting of a mass m suspended by a rod of length l was summarized. The nonlinear initial value problem was derived and the equation of motion for the pendulum and its period of oscillation were determined. The energy integral lemma was used to show the relation between the initial displacement and the period of the pendulum. A trigonometric identity was also used to simplify the equation. A change of variables was made to rewrite the equation in terms of a new variable. Finally, the period of oscillation was shown to be an elliptic integral of the first kind, which depends on the length of the rod and the initial displacement. As the initial displacement approaches pi, the
sourlemon

Homework Statement

In section 4.7, we discussed the simple pendulum consisting of a mass m suspended by a rod of length l having negligible mass and derived the nonlinear initial value problem.

(17) [tex]\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dt^{2}} + \frac{g}{l}sin\theta=0[/tex]

[tex]\theta(0) = \alpha[/tex]

[tex]\theta'(0) = 0[/tex]

where g is the acceleration due to gravity and [tex]\theta(t)[/tex] is the angle of the rod makes with the vertical at time t. Here it is assumed that the mass is released with zero velocity at an initial angle [tex]\alpha, 0 < \alpha < \pi[/tex]. We would like to determine the equation of motion for the pendulum and its period of oscillation.

(a) Use equation (17) and the energy integral lemma discussed in Section 4.7 to show that

[tex]\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^{2} = \frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta - cos\alpha)[/tex]

and hence

[tex]dt = - \sqrt{\frac{l}{2g}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{cos\theta - cos\alpha}}[/tex]

(b) Use the trigonometric identity [tex]cos x = 1 - 2sin^{2}(\frac{x}{2})[/tex] to express dt by

[tex]dt = - \frac{l}{2}\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{sin^{2}(\alpha/2) - sin^{2}(\theta/2)}}[/tex]

(c)Make the change of variables [tex]sin(\theta/2) = sin (\alpha/2)sin\phi [/tex] to rewrite dt in the form

[tex]dt = - \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1 - k^{2}sin^{2}(\phi/2)}}[/tex]

where [tex]k = sin(\alpha/2)[/tex].

(d) The period [tex]P(\alpha)[/tex] of the pendulum is defined to be the time required for the pendulum to swing from one extreme to the other and back - that is, from [tex]\alpha to -\alpha back to \alpha[/tex]. Show that the period of oscillation is given by

[tex](19) P(\alpha) = 4\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\int\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1 - k^{2}sin^{2}(\phi/2)}}[/tex]

where [tex]k = sin(\alpha/2)[/tex]. [Hint: The period is just four times the time it takes the pendulum to go from [tex]\theta = 0 to \theta = \alpha[/tex]]

The integral in (19) is called an elliptic integral of the first kind and is denoted by [tex]F(k, \pi/2[/tex]. As you might expect, the period of the simple pendulum depends on the length "l" of the rod and the initial displacement [tex]\alpha[/tex]. In fact, a check of an elliptic integral table will show that the period nearly doubles as the initial displacement increases from [tex]\pi/8[/tex] to [tex]15\pi/16[/tex] (for fixed "l"). What happens as [tex]\alpha[/tex] approaches [tex]\pi [/tex]

Homework Equations

Lemma 3.
Let y(t) be a solution to the differential equation

(7) y" = f(y)

where f(y) is a continuous function that does not depend on y' or the independent variable t. Let F(y) be an indefinite integral of f(y), that is

[tex]f(y) = \frac{d}{dy}F(y).[/tex]

Then the quantity

(8) [tex]E(t) = \frac{1}{2}y't^{2} - F(y(t))[/tex]

is constant; i.e.,

(9) [tex]\frac{d}{dt}E(t) = 0[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Lolz writing this problem alone takes forever. There's actually a part e, but I figure that out, so I didn't post it. As for part a and b, I got that too. I'm only having problem with part c and d.

(c)Make the change of variables [tex]sin(\theta/2) = sin (\alpha/2)sin\phi [/tex] to rewrite dt in the from

[tex]dt = - \frac{l}{2}\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{sin^{2}(\alpha/2) - sin^{2}(\theta/2)}}[/tex]

to

[tex]dt = - \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1 - k^{2}sin^{2}(\phi/2)}}[/tex]

I'm not sure yet how to start d, but I've start c. I think my problem is changing [tex]d\theta[/tex] to [tex]d\phi[/tex].

My teacher said to take the derivative of both. So

[tex]sin(\theta/2) = sin (\alpha/2)sin\phi [/tex]

becomes

[tex]1/2cos(\theta/2) = sin(\alpha/2)cos\phi [/tex]

Since I'm changing [tex]d\theta[/tex] to [tex]d\phi[/tex], I took the assumption that [tex]sin(\alpha/2) [/tex]is a constant.

Plugging that in the equation I get

[tex]dt = - \frac{l}{2}\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\frac{1}{2}\frac{cos(\theta/2)}{\sqrt{sin^{2}(\alpha/2) - sin^{2}(\alpha/2)sin^{2}\phi}}[/tex]

In part b, [tex]cos x = 1 - 2sin^{2}(\frac{x}{2})[/tex], so I figure I can try to do that too. So

[tex]cos(\theta/2) = 1 - 2sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{4})[/tex]

But how can I change [tex]1 - 2sin^{2}(\frac{\theta}{4})[/tex] to something with [tex]\alpha[/tex] or [tex]\phi[/tex]? I can't figure out what triognometric properties I can use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sourlemon said:
My teacher said to take the derivative of both. So

[tex]sin(\theta/2) = sin (\alpha/2)sin\phi [/tex]

[tex]1/2cos(\theta/2) = sin(\alpha/2)cos\phi [/tex]
That's not right. What happened to the derivative? You should get,

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \cos{\frac{\theta}{2}} \left(\frac{d \theta}{d \phi}\right) = \sin {\frac{\alpha}{2}} \cos \phi[/tex]

You need to substitute for [itex] d\theta[/itex] and [itex]\sin\frac{\theta}{2}}[/itex] in the equation.

Lolz, thank you for not running away after seeing my post. Lolz I feel so dumb. What a careless mistake. Thank you so much siddharth!

I have c solved :D now I must tackle d :(

(d) The period [tex]P(\alpha)[/tex] of the pendulum is defined to be the time required for the pendulum to swing from one extreme to the other and back - that is, from [tex]\alpha to -\alpha back to \alpha[/tex]. Show that the period of oscillation is given by

[tex](19) P(\alpha) = 4\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\int\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1 - k^{2}sin^{2}(\phi/2)}}[/tex]

where [tex]k = sin(\alpha/2)[/tex]. [Hint: The period is just four times the time it takes the pendulum to go from [tex]\theta = 0 to \theta = \alpha[/tex]]

The integral in (19) is called an elliptic integral of the first kind and is denoted by [tex]F(k, \pi/2[/tex]. As you might expect, the period of the simple pendulum depends on the length "l" of the rod and the initial displacement [tex]\alpha[/tex]. In fact, a check of an elliptic integral table will show that the period nearly doubles as the initial displacement increases from [tex]\pi/8[/tex] to [tex]15\pi/16[/tex] (for fixed "l"). What happens as [tex]\alpha[/tex] approaches [tex]\pi [/tex]?

From part c, I have the equation

So integrating both sides to have the period, I would have

[tex]P(\alpha) = \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}\int\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1 - k^{2}sin^{2}(\phi/2)}}[/tex]

Since [tex]\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex] is constant, I can move that out of the integral.

I am little confuse on how you determine that the integration is from 0 to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. What I figure is depending on where the pendulum is release, the most it can make is from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]. But for a period, the pendulum needs to swing from [tex]\alpha[/tex] to [tex]-\alpha[/tex] back to [tex]\alpha[/tex]. So would it make sense if I integrate it from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex] and multiply it by 2?...I'm a bit stuck here. I can see that if you release the pendulum from 0, it's the same as it is release from [tex]\pi[/tex], so with that, can I conclude that from 0 to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex]. That's why you can say that the integral is from 0 to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex], multiply by 4?

What happens as [tex]\alpha[/tex] approaches [tex]\pi [/tex]?
If the [tex]\alpha[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex], then the period decrease. But if [tex]\alpha[/tex] is from [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex], then the period increase. Is that right?

Last edited:
*sigh* turned out I missed a lot of things. I mistyped in the first post, it's suppose to be [tex]d\theta[/tex] not [tex]d\phi[/tex].

Let's start from the beginning.

[tex](17) \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} + \frac{g}{l}sin\theta=0[/tex]

Rearranging the equation,
[tex]\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} = - \frac{g}{l}sin\theta = \theta'' = f(\theta)[/tex]

Following the lemma energy stated above,

[tex]f(\theta) = \frac{d}{d\theta}F(\theta) = \frac{d}{d\theta}(\frac{g}{l}cos\theta + C)[/tex]

[tex]E(t)= \frac{1}{2}\theta'(t)^{2} - F(\theta(t))[/tex]

Plugging the known data [tex]\theta(0) = \alpha [/tex] and [tex]\theta'(0) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] E(t) = \frac{1}{2}(0)^{2} - \alpha = - \alpha[/tex]

[tex]E(t)= \frac{1}{2}\theta'(t)^{2} - F(\theta(t)) = \frac{1}{2}\theta'(t)^{2} - \frac{g}{l}cos\theta = - \alpha[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\theta'(t)^{2} = \frac{g}{l}cos\theta - \alpha[/tex]

[tex]\theta'(t)^{2} = 2\left(\frac{g}{l}cos\theta - \alpha\right) = [/tex]

[tex]\theta'(t)^{2} = 2\frac{g}{l}\left(cos\theta - \frac{g}{l}\alpha\right)[/tex]

Did I miss something? I want to end up with the equation below.

[tex]\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^{2} = \frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta - cos\alpha) [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Simple Pendulum - Linear Second-Order Equation

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It consists of a mass (known as the bob) attached to a string or rod of negligible mass.

2. What is the equation of motion for a simple pendulum?

The equation of motion for a simple pendulum is a linear second-order differential equation, given by:
θ'' + (g/L)sin(θ) = 0
where θ is the angle of displacement of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

3. What is the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is the time taken for one complete oscillation, i.e. the time taken for the pendulum to swing from one side to the other and back again. It is given by the equation:
T = 2π√(L/g)
where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the length of a simple pendulum affect its period?

The length of a simple pendulum has a direct relationship with its period. As the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This means that longer pendulums take longer to complete one oscillation compared to shorter pendulums.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a simple pendulum's period?

The accuracy of a simple pendulum's period can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the mass of the bob, and the amplitude of the pendulum's swing. Other factors such as the material and shape of the bob, as well as the angle of the string or rod, can also affect the accuracy of the period.