Simple Pendulum: Explaining Why Time is Proportional to Route Length

In summary, the pendulum takes longer to swing the same distance for a longer length because it has to travel the same distance around its in-out loop.
joshd
hey people. i am new to these forums.

i am doing some coursework on pendulums, for science. i have collected results, and have of course found t is proportional to route length. for my analysis, i need to say WHY, using some scientific knowledge.

so why is it? also, why is t proportional to ROUTE l, rather than just plain old l?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one way to see the scaling. The change in potential energy of the pendulum bob as it oscillates is [itex] m g L (1 - \cos \theta)[/itex] which is approximately [itex]m g L \theta^2/2[/itex] for small angles. Similarly, the corresponding change in kinetic energy is [itex]m v^2/2[/itex]. But [itex]v = L \theta/ T[/itex] where T is the period of the pendulum so the change in kinetic energy is about [itex]m L^2 \theta^2 /T^2[/itex].

Equating the two gives [itex]L^2 /T^2 = g L[/itex] from which T scales as [itex]\sqrt {L/g}[/itex].

lol, sounds like ur doing the same piece of coursework that I had to do about a week ago.

did you include that ^^^ in the analysis? i semi-understand it, lol.

what are the moderators wanting to get an 8 in the analysis strand?

right, i am now writing the analysis, and i do not know what to put.

i was going to say t is proportional to route l because when the pendulum is longer, the bob has got furthere to travel. but then i remembered that below 10 degrees, it doesn't matter what angle away from the verticle you set the pendulum swinging, it will always have the same period.

so why is it that t is proportional to route l??

joshd said:
so why is it that t is proportional to route l??

That question has already been answered. And, BTW, it is "root" and not "route."

well, my teacher says that is too complicated for a GCSE coursweork assignment. to get full marks on the analysis part of the mark scheme i need to:

using evidence collected, draw appropriate conclusions, and explain them using detailed scientific knowledge.

how can i explain what i found, in a more simple way that is not A level stuff. basically, what i need to know is why does it take longer for a longer length, if it is not the distance the bob has to travel? (in simple terms)

sorry if i have not been clear, or have been a bit stupid, i am only 15.

(ps, thanks for correcting me on the root spelling error)

Last edited:

Related to Simple Pendulum: Explaining Why Time is Proportional to Route Length

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth. It is a fundamental physics system that is used to understand the relationship between time and the length of the pendulum's swing.

2. How does a simple pendulum work?

The motion of a simple pendulum is governed by the force of gravity and the length of the pendulum. The weight of the pendulum pulls it down, while the pivot point acts as a fulcrum, allowing the pendulum to swing back and forth. The length of the pendulum affects the speed at which it swings, with longer pendulums having a slower swing rate.

3. Why is time proportional to the length of a simple pendulum's swing?

This relationship was first discovered by Galileo Galilei in the 16th century. He observed that the time it takes for a pendulum to complete one full swing is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that if you double the length of the pendulum, the time it takes to complete one swing will also double.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period (T) of a simple pendulum is: T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula shows that the period is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the pendulum, which explains why time is proportional to the route length.

5. How is the simple pendulum used in modern science?

The simple pendulum is still used in modern science as a way to measure time accurately. It is also used in experiments to study the effects of gravity and other forces on pendulum motion. Additionally, the concept of time being proportional to the length of a pendulum's swing has been applied to other systems, such as clocks and pendulum clocks, which use the same principle to keep accurate time.