Simple Pendulum Experiment questions

In summary, the string in a simple pendulum needs to be massless to simplify calculations. A "frictionless pivot" is a term used to simplify exam questions, as no pivot will be completely frictionless. The term for the stiffness of a string is simply "stiffness", but in real life, the mass of the string would need to be taken into account.
nousername
HI ALL!

Im new to physics forums, so ill see how i go :)

I have some questions below regarding a simple pendulum:

1) Why does the string need to be massless? What will happen if it isn't massless?
2) What does a "frictionless pivot mean"? If i have two plates which have the string in between and then i clamp the two plates together, does that mean i have a frictionless pivot or a pivot with friction? I don't get what is meant by a frictionless pivot. If you had a choice between a fishing line and string, which one would you choose and why? I would think that the fishing line is too stiff and would cause a retarding force on the pendulum... so i would choose the string... not sure.
3) What is the PHYSICS term given to the 'stiffness' of a string.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kirollos! welcome to pf! :smile:
kirollos said:
1) Why does the string need to be massless? What will happen if it isn't massless?

if it isn't massless, we need to include the moment of inertia of the string
2) What does a "frictionless pivot mean"? If i have two plates which have the string in between and then i clamp the two plates together, does that mean i have a frictionless pivot or a pivot with friction? I don't get what is meant by a frictionless pivot. If you had a choice between a fishing line and string, which one would you choose and why? I would think that the fishing line is too stiff and would cause a retarding force on the pendulum... so i would choose the string... not sure.

no pivot will be completely frictionless

"frictionless" is a word used in exam questions to make the questions easier :wink:

i'd choose the lightest one … the friction makes virtually no difference

stiffness is a physical term … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiffness" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
kirollos said:
HI ALL!

Im new to physics forums, so ill see how i go :)

I have some questions below regarding a simple pendulum:

Thanks in advance
1. It only needs to be massless because the question is staying simple and they want you to avoid having to calculate for the mass of the string. If you were to design one in real life you would absolutely have to take into account the mass of the string.

2.The string is kind of a weird one to use when referring to friction of the pivot. Think of a big clock with a metal pendulum swinging back and forth turning the gears. The pivot itself has friction in real life. With the string I think there is still friction within the string itself. Again, frictionless is being used to simplify the materiel.

3. See above!

Related to Simple Pendulum Experiment questions

What is a simple pendulum experiment?

A simple pendulum experiment involves suspending a mass (known as the bob) from a string or rod and observing its motion as it swings back and forth.

What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the bob, and the strength of gravity.

How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Why is a simple pendulum considered an idealized system?

A simple pendulum is considered an idealized system because it assumes that there is no air resistance, the string or rod has no mass, and the bob is a point mass.

What are some practical applications of simple pendulum experiments?

Simple pendulum experiments are used to measure the strength of gravity, determine the mass of unknown objects, and study the effects of air resistance on motion.