Simple Partial Differentiation

In summary, the question asks for the change of u, v, and w with respect to y, and assumes that everything else is constant. If you solve for the change of x, y, and z with respect to y, you get dx/dy=dz/dy=0, which implies that x, y, and z are the independent variables.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

Hey >.< another simple problem;

find [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} , \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex]

given that

u - v + 2w = x + 2z
2u + v - 2w = 2x - 2z
u - v + w = z - y

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know, this question is really bugging me, i understand that the whole idea of partial differentiation is only to have to deal with the change of one variable, so why are you given the first two equations? if you assume that everything apart from y & u are constant then of course

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = -1 [/tex]

however this isn't the answer, i thought maybe you can't assume that they're constant, because u is dependant on them, however this becomes an insanely hard/impossible simultaneous equation if you try to solve for all of their changes!

could someone give me a hint? i think I'm missing the point of this question (done all of the other questions in the exercise so far)

and of course, once again thank you for help you give me! =D

p.s answers are 0, 2 & 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take d/dy of all three equations. You'll get a pretty simple set of three equations in the three unknowns that you are looking for. Since it looks like x,y and z are your independent variables, dx/dy=dz/dy=0.

Hm, but how do you know that x, y and z are the independant variables, just because they ask for u, v and w's change with respect to y? Also i suppose that that means I CAN assume like you said that dx/dy = dz/dy = 0, but can't assume that dw/dy = 0?

Why can i simply choose to do that? =P (sorry if that's a long explainy question, if it is just forget it and i'll try to find a link)

and thanks a lot sir, the help is invaluable (trying to self-teach this, you can tell how it's going xP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_differential" may help.

If not, consider this: Partial derivatives force all variables except one to be constants at some determined point in order to see the behavioral (derivative aka slope) result of the variable in question. However, instead of assigning constants to the other variables, partials continue to solve for the variable in question mathematically, so as to provide for a derivative solution at all values of the other variables.

I'm not a mathematician, though, so I hope one comes along, soon... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is sort of implied. It should have been explicitly stated. If you are taking partial derivatives with respect to y, that implies there are other independent variables around. Since x,y,z are consecutive letters in the alphabet I would assume they are the independent variables and that u,v and w are to be regarded as functions of x,y and z. I.e. u(x,y,z), v(x,y,z) and w(x,y,z). As I said, I think they really should have stated that if they didn't. I'm just reading between the lines.

I see, it's just common sense really, i guess if i had more experience answering these questions it would have been more obvious to me...much obliged Dick (i managed to get the answer out)! =D ps i voted for you in the polls a couple of weeks ago :D

and i have read that link...it's not VERY helpful but i agree I need to read more into the theory, I'm just learning to compute right now (not very good)

Related to Simple Partial Differentiation

What is simple partial differentiation?

Simple partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a single dependent variable with respect to a single independent variable, while holding all other variables constant. It is a tool commonly used in calculus and is a fundamental concept in many scientific fields.

What is the purpose of simple partial differentiation?

The purpose of simple partial differentiation is to help us understand how a single variable changes in relation to another variable. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of complex systems and making predictions about their future behavior.

How is simple partial differentiation performed?

To perform simple partial differentiation, we first take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable we are interested in. Then, we treat all other variables as constants and simplify the resulting expression.

What is the difference between simple partial differentiation and total differentiation?

Simple partial differentiation only looks at the rate of change of one variable with respect to another, while total differentiation considers the combined effect of all variables on the function. Total differentiation is a more complex process and is used when there are multiple independent variables.

What are some real-world applications of simple partial differentiation?

Simple partial differentiation is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to analyze the rate of change of physical quantities, optimize systems, and make predictions about natural phenomena.