Simple ODE problem, Bernoulli's Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved homework problem involving a simple ODE and Bernoulli's Equation. The problem was initially approached incorrectly, but the solution was corrected and the poster was reminded how to edit the thread title.
Jonnyb42
[SOLVED] simple ODE problem, Bernoulli's Equation

Homework Statement

Initial value problem:

Relation: t*y' - 2*[t^2]*sqrt(y) = 4*y
Initial value: y(1) = 4

Homework Equations

general form of Bernoulli's equation:
y' + a(t)y = b(t)*[y^n]

First order, linear ODE form:
y' + a(t)y = b(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

My written solution. I first get Bernoulli-type equation into first order/linear form. After that I solve it with the equation y = [1/mu]*Integral[ b(t) * mu dt] (+ constant)
where mu = e^[ Integral[ a(t) dt]

27zf728.jpg

I have tried this multiple times and I get the same answer. When I plug in the solution y = f(t) it does not match the differential equation, (takes some time to show.)

Any help would be great, I obviously am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well it turns out I forgot how to multiply both sides of an equation.
3rd to last step I multiply half of the right side by t^2, I'm not sure how to make this thread "solved."

Jonnyb42 said:
I'm not sure how to make this thread "solved."

I believe you can edit the header of your own posts, so you can put a " [SOLVED] " at the end of your title.

k thanks ill do that

Related to Simple ODE problem, Bernoulli's Equation

1. What is a simple ODE problem?

A simple ODE (ordinary differential equation) problem is a mathematical equation that involves a single independent variable and its derivatives. It represents the relationship between a function and its derivatives, and is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a special type of ODE that describes the conservation of energy in a fluid flow. It states that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy in a fluid remains constant along a streamline. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics.

3. How do you solve a simple ODE problem?

To solve a simple ODE problem, you first need to identify the type of equation (e.g. linear, nonlinear, separable) and then use appropriate techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. You may also need to apply initial or boundary conditions to find a specific solution.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear ODE?

A linear ODE is one in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only in a linear form, while a nonlinear ODE contains terms that are not proportional to the dependent variable and its derivatives. Linear ODEs are generally easier to solve, while nonlinear ODEs may require more advanced techniques such as numerical methods.

5. What are the real-world applications of simple ODE problems and Bernoulli's equation?

Simple ODE problems and Bernoulli's equation have numerous real-world applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the flow of fluids in pipes, and designing aircraft wings. They are also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, economics, and biology to study various phenomena and make predictions.