Simple NAND flip flop question

• Thread starter lampshade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flip flop
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of NAND flip flops in memory and the confusion surrounding their stability in non-volatile memory like flash. It is explained that in non-volatile memory, charge is stored using a floating gate technique, allowing the contents to be retained even when the power is turned off. The conversation also touches on the advancements being made in non-volatile memory technology.
lampshade
something has always bothered me about nand flip flops and their use in memory so I thought I would ask this here and get it cleared up.

In a basic nand flip flop like the one found here:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/nandlatch.html#c1"
I understand that there is a stable state Q=1 and Q' = 0, but what I don't get is how this helps in flash memory.

Once I say pull a usb flash drive out of the computer, it has no more electricity so how can S or R remain 1? In my mind I see the lack of electricity as being a 0 S input and a 0 R input that would put the latch into its invalid state.

What is the tiny key thing that I am missing to make sense of this?? This has been bugging me all day

Big thanks in advance,
lampshade

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A simple flip flop (as is used in RAM cells, etc.) is volatile -- the contents are lost when power is cycled.

Non-volatile memory like flash and EEPROM has other mechanisms for storing charge that stays stored even when the power is turned off. One technique is a "floating gate" technique, where charge is tunneled into a floating, isolated gate, where it stays for many years without leaking out. The presence or absence of the charge on the floating gate affects the transistor characteristics of the associated cell, and can be read out (without affecting the stored charge) in order to tell whether that cell contains a logic 1 or 0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

Thanks a ton for the clarification. I had actually already read the wiki page in the process but I was still a little confused.

Thanks again!

I've always wondered this too. Thanks for the info. I wonder how the inventer dreamed that up. The floating gate FET idea seems quite ingenious.

Yeah, I agree -- a great invention. And another extension on that, are the zero-mask-adder non-volatile transistor configurations that are getting qualified for viable IP at different geometries right now. That means that various aggressive startup companies are doing their best to prove that they can supply (for a reasonable fee) IP (intellectual property licenses) that enable us chip companies to make chips with non-volatile memory arrays that do not require the extra IC fab layers (and associated cost). Great stuff on the cusp of technology in the Valley (and elsewhere obviously)!

Related to Simple NAND flip flop question

1. What is a Simple NAND Flip Flop?

A Simple NAND Flip Flop is a basic digital circuit that stores a single bit of information. It consists of two cross-coupled NAND gates and can be used to store data in sequential logic circuits.

2. How does a Simple NAND Flip Flop work?

A Simple NAND Flip Flop works by using feedback to store and transfer data. When both inputs of a NAND gate are high, the output is low. This low output is then fed back into the other NAND gate, causing the output to switch to high. This feedback loop allows the flip flop to hold its state until it is changed by an external input.

3. What are the advantages of a Simple NAND Flip Flop?

One advantage of a Simple NAND Flip Flop is its simplicity. It only requires two NAND gates, making it easy to implement in digital circuits. It also has a fast switching time, making it useful for applications that require quick data storage and transfer.

4. What are the limitations of a Simple NAND Flip Flop?

One limitation of a Simple NAND Flip Flop is that it is not a universal memory element, meaning it cannot store multiple bits of data. It also has a limited number of states (only two) and can only store data for a short period of time before it needs to be refreshed.

5. What are some common applications of a Simple NAND Flip Flop?

A Simple NAND Flip Flop is commonly used in counters, shift registers, and other sequential logic circuits. It is also used in digital clocks, computer memory, and other electronic devices that require basic data storage and transfer functions.