Simple multivariable limit problem

In summary: Once you have that, you can solve for δ in terms of ε.In summary, we are trying to show that there exists a disk with center (1,1) and radius δ such that when a point P is within that disk, the difference between f(P) and 5 is less than any given positive number ε. To solve for δ, we can use the fact that the maximum value of |f(P)-5| is equal to the sum of the maximum values of |2(x-1)| and |3(y-1)|, which are both equal to r. Therefore, δ can be expressed as a function of ε as δ = ε/5.
Toshe

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x,y) = 2x+3y[/itex]

Let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] be any positive number. Show that there is a disk with center [itex](1,1)[/itex] and radius [itex]\delta[/itex] such that whenever [itex]P[/itex] is in that disk, [itex]\left| f(P) - 5\right| < \epsilon[/itex]. Give [itex]\delta[/itex] as a function of [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\left| 2x+3y - 5\right| < \epsilon[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2} < \delta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, it's a continuous equation that works out to exactly [itex]5[/itex] so the limit is 5. But I am stuck on solving for [itex]\delta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I suspect I am stuck on an easy step.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]|2x+ 3y- 5|= |2x- 2+ 3y- 3|= |2(x- 1)+ 3(y- 1)|\le 2|x- 1|+ 3|y- 1|[/itex]

and, of course, [itex]|x- 1|\le \sqrt{(x- 1)^2+ (y- 1)^2}[/itex] and [itex]|y- 1|\le \sqrt{(x- 1)^2+ (y- 1)^2}[/itex].

Toshe said:

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x,y) = 2x+3y[/itex]

Let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] be any positive number. Show that there is a disk with center [itex](1,1)[/itex] and radius [itex]\delta[/itex] such that whenever [itex]P[/itex] is in that disk, [itex]\left| f(P) - 5\right| < \epsilon[/itex]. Give [itex]\delta[/itex] as a function of [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\left| 2x+3y - 5\right| < \epsilon[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2} < \delta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, it's a continuous equation that works out to exactly [itex]5[/itex] so the limit is 5. But I am stuck on solving for [itex]\delta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I suspect I am stuck on an easy step.

Welcome to PF, Toshe! :smile:

Suppose we pick a point P with a distance r to (1,1).
Then r < δ.

What is the maximum value that |f(P)-5|=|2(x-1)+3(y-1)| can take as a function of r?

Related to Simple multivariable limit problem

1. What is a simple multivariable limit problem?

A simple multivariable limit problem involves finding the limit of a function that has more than one independent variable, such as f(x, y). This means that the input of the function is determined by two or more variables, and we are interested in the output of the function as these variables approach a certain value.

2. How do I solve a simple multivariable limit problem?

To solve a simple multivariable limit problem, you can use the same techniques as you would for a single variable limit problem. This includes factoring, rationalizing, and using limit laws. However, you may need to use multiple approaches or consider different paths for approaching the limit, as the function may behave differently in different directions.

3. What is the importance of simple multivariable limit problems?

Simple multivariable limit problems are important in understanding the behavior of functions with multiple variables and in applications such as economics, physics, and engineering. They also serve as the foundation for more complex multivariable limit problems and higher level calculus concepts.

4. What are some common challenges when solving simple multivariable limit problems?

One common challenge when solving simple multivariable limit problems is determining the appropriate path or approach to take in finding the limit. It is also important to consider the behavior of the function in different directions, as well as any potential discontinuities or singularities that may affect the limit.

5. Are there any specific tips for solving simple multivariable limit problems?

Some tips for solving simple multivariable limit problems include drawing a graph or visualizing the function to better understand its behavior, considering different paths or approaches to the limit, and simplifying the function by factoring or using limit laws before attempting to evaluate the limit. It can also be helpful to check your answer using algebra or by plugging in values to confirm that the limit is correct.