Simple Method to Measure Thermal Conductivity of Insulation

In summary: The idea is to stuff the materials between the exterior of an existing wall and a new wooden cladding, and then measure the internal and external temperatures and heater power to calculate the steady state energy flow. This can be compared to a known substance for calibration. Additionally, Chetan suggests using a conservative approach by neglecting the air circulation within the wall and only considering the thermal conductivity of the plastic materials. This method can provide an upper bound for the rate of heat loss and help with design purposes.
baha
Hi,

I'm doing a group investigation on external wall insulation for my school building. The walls do not have a cavity and thus it has been proposed to put insulation over the exterior render of the wall.
This is a fairly common building procedure.

However, my task is to investigate the plausibility of using recycled materials as insulation and once I have decided what to use, I will need to calculate the thermal conductivity.

My proposal is to use a mixture of supermarket plastic bags and other mixed recycled packing plastics, stuffed between the exterior of the existing wall and a new exterior wooden cladding.

With only standard school equipment, how could I measure the thermal conductivity of my custom insulation in order to numerically compare it with existing insulations?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
If you can find a set of Lee's Disc equipment in your physics equipment store then that should eo just what you want. To see what it looks like, Google it. I found many hits with pictures and practical details. It is essentially for measuring conductivity of insulating materials.

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome.
If you can find a set of Lee's Disc equipment in your physics equipment store then that should eo just what you want. To see what it looks like, Google it. I found many hits with pictures and practical details. It is essentially for measuring conductivity of insulating materials.

That would be great but I don't believe that my physics store has this equipment. Is there any way to do it by building a box out of the insulator and putting an electric heater inside or something?

You may need to ask the technician. It is not a large thing and could be in the back of a drawer. I was teaching in a UK Physics department from 1991 and they had one - but I was the only person who actually recognised it for what it was. You may need to present them with a picture of it (from the www).
I remember seeing one in about 1960, at my school but never used it. There were questions about it in textbooks though.

Your idea of a heater in a box would, of course, be an alternative. The Lees Disc uses steam and this may have been more suitable 150 years ago than electrical heaters would have been. I'd suggest a light bulb in a copper box as the heat source. Your school will certainly have something similar available.

The things you need to be able to measure would be internal and external (surface) temperatures and heater power. If you wait for the steady state situation, you know the energy flow (it's all getting out at the rate the heater is supplying it) and make sure the temperatures are fairly even all over the surfaces. Two copper boxes with equal spacing between, all the way round.

You need to be prepared to take some time over each measurement and to 'calibrate' your measurement with a know substance. Could be fun.

Air has a very low thermal conductivity (lower than any of the plastics you would be using), but, because the wall space is hollow, the air is able to circulate within the wall (by natural convection), and this greatly increases the rate of heat loss. The air flows downward near the cold wall, and upward near the hotter wall. It turns around at the floor- and ceiling studs. So heat is carried by air flow from the hot region to the cold region. If you stuff the walls with plastics, this drastically cuts the air circulation, but the thermal conductivity of the plastic is higher than air. But, although it would be difficult to exactly calculate the equivalent thermal conductivity of the plastic filler, it might be possible to bound the rate of heat loss for design purposes (without the need to do any experiments). The thermal conductivity of the plastic material is probably known for the plastic bags and for any other plastics stuffed in the wall. All you need to know is the amount of plastic stuffed in per unit area of wall (kg/m2). If you divide this by the density of the plastic (also known), this will give you a total thickness of plastic (on average) at any location within the wall. The air in the interstices will provide additional insulation, but, to be conservative, you will neglect that. So you find the rate of heat flow through the plastic part of the space (which is thinner than the total wall space). This will give you an upper bound to the rate of heat loss.

Chet

Related to Simple Method to Measure Thermal Conductivity of Insulation

1. What is thermal conductivity and why is it important in measuring insulation?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can conduct heat. In the context of insulation, it is important because it determines the rate at which heat can transfer through the material. A higher thermal conductivity means a faster rate of heat transfer, which can result in increased energy usage and decreased effectiveness of insulation.

2. What is the simplest method for measuring thermal conductivity of insulation?

The simplest method for measuring thermal conductivity of insulation is the guarded hot plate method. This involves sandwiching the insulation material between two heated plates and measuring the temperature difference across the material at a constant heat flow. The thermal conductivity can then be calculated using the dimensions and properties of the material.

3. Can this method be used for all types of insulation materials?

While the guarded hot plate method is suitable for most types of insulation materials, there are some limitations. It is most accurate for homogeneous materials, so materials with varying densities or compositions may yield less precise results. Additionally, materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, may require a different measurement method.

4. How does the thickness of the insulation material affect the measurement of thermal conductivity?

The thickness of the insulation material does not affect the measurement of thermal conductivity, as long as the heat flow through the material is constant. However, a thicker material may require a longer testing time to reach thermal equilibrium and yield accurate results.

5. What other factors can affect the measurement of thermal conductivity?

Aside from material properties, other factors that can affect the measurement of thermal conductivity include ambient temperature and humidity, as well as any air gaps or imperfections in the insulation material. It is important to carefully control these variables during testing to ensure accurate results.