Does steam rising in an insulated tube lose thermal energy

In summary, the water vapour in steam does not lose thermal energy as it rises, even if the surrounding environment is thermal neutral. This is due to the conversion of thermal energy into work which pushes the steam through the tube.
curiouschris
I want to propose an interesting thought experiment, but don't want to
A/ make a bigger fool of myself than I normally do
B/ well that's about it really

The premise behind my experiment is that rising steam does not lose thermal energy if we ignore thermal losses both radiative and conductive.

I know that's an odd thing to say but its important in this context.

So my pre thought experiment question is this.

If I heated steam in a perfectly thermally insulated container which led to a perfectly thermally insulated riser (tube, pipe, chimney or whatever you want to call it) does the water vapour lose thermal energy as it rises?

Assume the following...
1/ riser is open at the top
2/ sufficient time has passed such as the tube only contains water vapour in the form of steam. (the walls of the riser are at the same temp as the steam and therefore no condensation).
3/ perfect thermal insulation of all components (not possible, but just humour me)
4/ steam that exits the riser is ignored.

In the above scenario, does the water vapour lose thermal energy as it rises. if so why and how?

EDIT:

The source of steam is water boiling in the container with energy supplied by an external source. As the water boils, the steam generated displaces the contents of the riser, thus water molecules as steam vapour rise up the tube.

CC

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
It seems to me that the steam is rising, and the energy for that has to come from someplace.

alexg said:
It seems to me that the steam is rising, and the energy for that has to come from someplace.

The steam comes from the heating of water in the container. as the water turns to steam it expands thus filling the riser and displacing the previous contents of the riser (out the top).

Sorry I should have said heated a container of water till it boiled, thus emitting steam.

CC

The pressure at the top of the tube is atmospheric pressure. The pressure inside the container where the water is heated is above atmospheric pressure (which is what causes the steam to be pushed through and out of the tube.) As the steam rises through the tube its pressure drops, and the steam expands. Assuming the tube is perfectly insulated and thermal conduction though the steam along the tube is negligible, the expansion of the steam lowers the temperature of the steam.

The thermal energy isn't lost, it is converted into work, and it is that work which pushes the steam through the tube.

Thanks.

So as the steam rises (against atmospheric pressure and gravity) thermal energy is not lost. Of course the temperature drops due to the larger volume the vapour occupies. This would also happen within the tube itself as the vapour expands to fill the tube.

That's exactly as I assumed it would be, but I am looking for losses of energy other than thermal loss due to imperfect insulation. Of course I realize once the steam exits the tube it will mix with the atmosphere and losses would then start via both convective and radiative.

Any more comments on energy losses anyone? I am particularly concerned about the vapour as it rises UP the tube. I have had an astounding thought and I want to be 100% sure of it before I potentially make a fool of myself.

CC

Related to Does steam rising in an insulated tube lose thermal energy

1. What is thermal energy and how does it relate to steam rising in an insulated tube?

Thermal energy is the energy that an object has due to its temperature. In the case of steam rising in an insulated tube, thermal energy is the energy that keeps the steam at a high temperature and allows it to rise. This energy can be lost through various mechanisms, such as conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How does insulation affect the loss of thermal energy in a steam-filled tube?

Insulation helps to reduce the loss of thermal energy in a steam-filled tube by providing a barrier between the hot steam and the surrounding environment. This barrier slows down the transfer of heat from the steam to the outside, allowing the steam to maintain its high temperature for a longer period of time.

3. Does steam lose thermal energy as it rises in an insulated tube?

Yes, steam does lose thermal energy as it rises in an insulated tube. This is due to the natural process of heat transfer, where the hot steam transfers its heat to the cooler surroundings. However, the rate of energy loss can be reduced with proper insulation.

4. Can the loss of thermal energy in a steam-filled tube be completely prevented with insulation?

No, the loss of thermal energy in a steam-filled tube cannot be completely prevented with insulation. Some amount of energy will always be lost due to the natural process of heat transfer. However, insulation can greatly reduce the rate of energy loss and help to maintain a high temperature for a longer period of time.

5. Is it important to consider thermal energy loss in steam-filled tubes?

Yes, it is important to consider thermal energy loss in steam-filled tubes. This is especially important in industrial or scientific applications where maintaining a specific temperature is crucial. Proper insulation can help to minimize energy loss and ensure that the steam remains at the desired temperature for optimal performance.