Simple lever for a 3d printed gate

In summary: Perhaps a metal spring, but I would try flexing the plastic and allowing it to snap back. Given the right thickness and shape, it should be possible to make it work with the plastic.I don't have a picture. Right now, you have one "stick" sticking out from the gate piece. That is you biggest problem. It should end in a "T" with the top of the T held against the bottom of the main section and acting like a hinge, But as I said, it shouldn't even by a "T", it should be a full rectangle so that it cannot easily twist. You will need to add something to the bottom of the main section to hold that hinge in place
Bayu

Homework Statement

Hi I am new here!,i want to thanks for all great information,

Today i try to make a lever works with my hot wheels start gate,it should be work like gate,when i push the lever down,the gate will going down but i can't make the gate open at the same time between the first and second gate,any idea of the lever design that i should make on my 3dprinter?

20181002_174658-1612x1209.jpg

20181002_174722-1612x1209.jpg

Any help would be appreciated so much! Thanks a lot!

Homework Equations

It should be work like this

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 20181002_174658-1612x1209.jpg
    20181002_174658-1612x1209.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 534
  • 20181002_174722-1612x1209.jpg
    20181002_174722-1612x1209.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 557
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would make two changes.
First, I would not use that "Y" shape. I would use a full "door" with a "hindge" attached to the bottom of the assm.
This would tend to keep the gates at the same level.
Second, I would changes the way the gate is setup by the operator. You could make it so the operator needs to push the gates into a raised position - and flexing part of that "door" in the process. Then it would be held in that position until the trigger release it. That way the gates would snap down quickly.

.Scott said:
I would make two changes.
First, I would not use that "Y" shape. I would use a full "door" with a "hindge" attached to the bottom of the assm.
This would tend to keep the gates at the same level.
Second, I would changes the way the gate is setup by the operator. You could make it so the operator needs to push the gates into a raised position - and flexing part of that "door" in the process. Then it would be held in that position until the trigger release it. That way the gates would snap down quickly.

Hi thanks for your idea!,do i need a spring to make door open quick when i push the lever?, d9 you have any picture reference related tp your idea?,that would be a big help to mix into 3d print model

Bayu said:
Hi thanks for your idea!,do i need a spring to make door open quick when i push the lever?, d9 you have any picture reference related tp your idea?,that would be a big help to mix into 3d print model
Perhaps a metal spring, but I would try flexing the plastic and allowing it to snap back. Given the right thickness and shape, it should be possible to make it work with the plastic.
I don't have a picture. Right now, you have one "stick" sticking out from the gate piece. That is you biggest problem. It should end in a "T" with the top of the T held against the bottom of the main section and acting like a hinge, But as I said, it shouldn't even by a "T", it should be a full rectangle so that it cannot easily twist. You will need to add something to the bottom of the main section to hold that hinge in place - so that the end of the rectangle is in a long slot. This is especially important if you are flexing the plastic - because that flexing will cause the hinge of the gate piece to separate from the bottom unless that slot is strong.

Related to Simple lever for a 3d printed gate

1. What is a simple lever?

A simple lever is a basic machine consisting of a rigid bar or rod that rotates around a fixed point, called the fulcrum. It is used to amplify or redirect force, making it easier to move objects.

2. What is a 3d printed gate?

A 3d printed gate is a gate that is created using a 3D printer. It is made by laying down layers of material, usually plastic, until the desired shape is achieved.

3. How does a simple lever work?

A simple lever works by applying a force to one end, called the effort, which causes the other end, called the load, to move. The fulcrum acts as a pivot point and allows the lever to amplify or redirect the force applied.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3d printed gate?

Using a 3d printed gate allows for more precise and customizable designs, faster production, and the ability to create complex shapes that may not be possible with traditional manufacturing methods.

5. Can a simple lever be used for other purposes besides a gate?

Yes, a simple lever can be used for a variety of purposes, such as lifting heavy objects, moving objects long distances, and even as a basic measuring tool. It is a versatile and fundamental tool in science and engineering.