Simple Harmonic Motion with Springs that have Mass

In summary, springs have strain and moment which increase linearly as long as you stay in the elastic region.
simpleton
Hi all,

I recently learned about simple harmonic motion. In all the questions I have done, the springs are massless. I would like to know what happens when the spring has mass. I think that if the spring has mass, then the force in the spring will also have to counteract the weight of the spring itself. And I think the extension of the spring is also not uniform over the length of the spring.

My idea is something like this. Let's say the length of the spring is AB, where A is the topmost point and B is the bottommost point. Let X is a point between A and B. At this point, the segment AX will extend by some amount e that support the weight of XB and the hanging mass by Hooke's Law. Then we can use this relationship to write out some differential equation.

However, I think I have made fundamental mistake in my reasoning above. It seems that as X moves towards B, the effective hanging mass (the hanging mass + the segment XB) becomes lighter, and yet the extension of the segment AX will increase.

Can someone help me out? I am getting more and more confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

I think it is too difficult to model the forces on each spring element and write out a solvable differential equation.

What really happens in a spring is there is strain in the metal (twisting in the cross section) as well as moments in the cross section, which have linearly increasing forces as long as you stay in the elastic region of the material.

You can try to figure something out with a rubber band, since it is easier to think about. The rubber stretches but the mass/length changes. The tension is not constant throughout the band since it is accelerating.

I could probably come up with some models and equations but its late now and I'm a bit tired. I hope this helps a little bit.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion with Springs that have Mass

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern, with a constant frequency and amplitude. This motion is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to springs with mass?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be observed in objects attached to springs that have mass. When the spring is stretched or compressed, it exerts a restoring force on the object, causing it to oscillate back and forth in a regular pattern.

What factors affect the frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion with springs that have mass?

The frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion with springs that have mass is affected by three main factors: the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the gravitational force acting on the object.

Can Simple Harmonic Motion be represented mathematically?

Yes, Simple Harmonic Motion can be represented mathematically using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period (time for one complete oscillation), m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring).

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion with springs that have mass?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion with springs that have mass include a mass attached to a spring bouncing up and down on a trampoline, a pendulum swinging back and forth, and a car's suspension system absorbing bumps on a road.