Simple Harmonic Motion solution problem

In summary: A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}\left(\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}cos(\theta)+ \frac{A_{imag}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}=\frac{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}}{1-\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}[/tex]
Matuku
I've been going through and proving to myself that the solution to the SHM equation is correct; at A level we were just told what it was but never really shown why.

I've gone through the problem as a standard 2nd Order ODE (with complex roots of course) and ended up at:

[tex] x = A_{real} cos(\omega t) - A_{im} sin(\omega t) [/tex]

But the form I want (as the one were were given) is [tex] Bsin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SimpleHarmonicMotion.html seems to imply that you can get:
[tex] B cos(\phi) = A_{real}[/tex]
[tex] B sin(\phi) = A_{im} [/tex]

Which then allows use of a trigonometric identity to get it to cos (still not quite what I want but you can just put an extra pi/2 into the phi and make it sin). Is this always the case? Can you always find values of B and [tex]\phi[/tex] which will allow this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matuku said:
I've been going through and proving to myself that the solution to the SHM equation is correct; at A level we were just told what it was but never really shown why.

I've gone through the problem as a standard 2nd Order ODE (with complex roots of course) and ended up at:

[tex] x = A_{real} cos(\omega t) - A_{im} sin(\omega t) [/tex]

But the form I want (as the one were were given) is [tex] Bsin(\omega t + \phi) [/tex]

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SimpleHarmonicMotion.html seems to imply that you can get:
[tex] B cos(\phi) = A_{real}[/tex]
[tex] B sin(\phi) = A_{im} [/tex]

Which then allows use of a trigonometric identity to get it to cos (still not quite what I want but you can just put an extra pi/2 into the phi and make it sin). Is this always the case? Can you always find values of B and [tex]\phi[/tex] which will allow this?
[itex]sin(x+ y)= sin(x)cos(y)+ cos(x)sin(y) is the trigonometric identity you refer to. Of course, we must have [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex] but what you can do is this:

Given [itex]A_{real} cos(\omega t)+ A_{imag}sin(\omega t)[/itex], if [itex]\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}\ne 1[/itex], factor that out:
[itex]\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}\left(\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}cos(\omega t)+ \frac{A_{imag}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}sin(\omega t)\right)[/itex].

And, now, because [itex]\left(\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}\right)^2+ \frac{A_{imag}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}= 1[/itex], we can find [itex]\phi[/itex] such that [itex]cos(\phi)= \frac{A_{real}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}[/itex] and [itex]sin(\phi)= \frac{A_{imag}}{\frac{A_{real}}{\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ B^2_{imag}}}}[/itex] and thus,
[tex]A_{real}cos(\omega t)+ A_{imag}sin(\omega t)=\sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}\left( sin(\phi)cos(\omega t)+ cos(\phi)sin(\omega t)\right)= \sqrt{A^2_{real}+ A^2_{imag}}sin(\omega t+ \phi)[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that brings back memories from A level actually; let me see if I've got this right.

Let,
[tex]\]
Acos(\theta) + Bsin(\theta) = Rsin(\theta + \phi)\\
\therefore Acos(\theta) + Bsin(\theta)=Rcos(\theta)sin(\phi) + Rsin(\theta)cos(\phi)\\
\therefore A = Rsin(\phi), B= Rcos(\phi)\\
\therefore R = sqrt{A^2 + B^2}, \phi=arctan(A/B)\\
\[[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion solution problem

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which a mass or object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point in a smooth and repetitive manner. It follows a specific pattern and is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you solve problems related to Simple Harmonic Motion?

To solve problems related to Simple Harmonic Motion, one can use the equation:
x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ)
where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. One can also use the equations for velocity and acceleration in SHM, which are v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt + φ) and a(t) = -Aω²cos(ωt + φ), respectively.

3. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Simple Pendulum?

The main difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Simple Pendulum is that SHM occurs when a mass is attached to a spring and moves back and forth, while a Simple Pendulum occurs when a small mass is suspended from a fixed point and swings back and forth under the influence of gravity. The equations and principles for both types of motion are slightly different, but both follow the same harmonic motion pattern.

4. How do amplitude and frequency affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion refers to the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude results in a larger maximum displacement and a longer period of oscillation, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller maximum displacement and a shorter period of oscillation. Frequency, on the other hand, refers to the number of oscillations per unit time and is directly related to the angular frequency (ω) in SHM. As the frequency increases, the period of oscillation decreases and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be observed in many natural and human-made systems, such as the motion of a mass attached to a spring, the swinging of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the back and forth movement of a child on a swing. It can also be seen in the motion of planets and stars in the universe, as well as in the oscillation of molecules in a solid material.