Simple Harmonic Motion - Finding period of oscillation of block

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding the time period of horizontal oscillations of a block in a given figure with ideal springs and pulley and a massless rod on a frictionless surface. Two different approaches are used, one using torque and the other using force, but both give different and incorrect answers. It is pointed out that the value of x should be treated as independent of θ. The conversation also discusses finding the correct force due to the lower spring, which can vary depending on the direction of x and θ.
zorro

Homework Statement

In the given figure, all the springs and pulley are ideal and surface is frictionless. The rod is massless. The time period of horizontal oscillations of the block is?

attachment.php?attachmentid=32886&stc=1&d=1299599056.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I used two different approaches and both give different and wrong answers-

Consider a very small rotation of the rod by an angle θ. Let x be the displacement of the mass m.

1) Torque-

Trestoring = -(k/4*2*(lθ)*l + k(2lθ)*2l)

Simplfiying and writing L.H.S as 4ml2α

α = -9k/8m*θ

ω2 = 9k/8m

2) Force-

Frestoring = -(k*2lθ + k/4*2*lθ) = -5klθ/2 = -5kx/4

a=-5kx/4m

ω2 = 5k/4m

Can someone point out any mistake above and show me the correct method?

Attachments

• 9b619f7a-76d5-4281-a1aa-3b1af5d18235.jpg
    9b619f7a-76d5-4281-a1aa-3b1af5d18235.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abdul! :smile:

You need to treat x as independent of θ. :wink:

(and I think your Trestoring = -(k/4*2*(lθ)*l + k(2lθ)*2l) has too many 2s)

x and θ are dependent. How can they be independent of each other?

Which '2' do you think is redundant?

Abdul Quadeer said:
x and θ are dependent. How can they be independent of each other?

The mass m is not fixed, so x and θ can vary independently. :wink:

ok...so the force due the lower spring is k(2lθ+/-x) ?
How do I decide whether it is + or - ?

I don't really understand your question :confsued: …

you decide which way x goes, and which way θ goes.

I got the answer. Thank you!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion - Finding period of oscillation of block

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system, such as a spring or pendulum, oscillates back and forth between two points with a constant period and amplitude. This motion is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you find the period of oscillation of a block in simple harmonic motion?

To find the period of oscillation, you can use the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant. Alternatively, you can also find the period by timing the number of oscillations in a certain time period and then dividing the total time by the number of oscillations.

3. Can the period of oscillation be affected by the amplitude of the motion?

No, the period of oscillation in simple harmonic motion is not affected by the amplitude of the motion. The period only depends on the mass and the strength of the restoring force (represented by the spring constant).

4. What factors can affect the period of oscillation in simple harmonic motion?

The period of oscillation can be affected by the mass of the object, the strength of the restoring force (represented by the spring constant), and the initial displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

5. How does the period of oscillation change if the spring constant is increased?

If the spring constant is increased, the period of oscillation will decrease. This is because a higher spring constant means a stronger restoring force, which will cause the object to oscillate back and forth more quickly, resulting in a shorter period.