Confused about a simple harmonic motion problem....

In summary, the period of a spring-mass system on Earth is 6 seconds, but it will stay the same on the moon where the acceleration due to gravity is 1/6 of Earth's.
Jordan Jones

Homework Statement

A vertical block-spring system on Earth has a period of 6.0 s. What is the period of this same system on the moon where the acceleration due to gravity is roughly 1/6 that of earth?

Homework Equations

w = √(k/m)
w = (2Pi)/T
T = 2Pi*√(m/k)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved for the period using the first two equations and found that g does not play a role in the equation. From this I said that the period of the spring should stay the same on the mood because the acceleration due to gravity does not affect the period.

The answer key for the problem says 15 seconds but I have no idea how.

Any help here? Confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan Jones said:
found that g does not play a role in the equation. From this I said that the period of the spring should stay the same on the mood because the acceleration due to gravity does not affect the period.
Quite right.
Jordan Jones said:
The answer key for the problem says 15 seconds
Sounds like someone is confusing springs and pendulums.

Likes Jordan Jones and gneill
I think that your answer key has it wrong. The period depends only on the mass and the spring constant.

My suggestion: burn the book and get another one :smile:

Likes Chestermiller and haruspex
Jordan Jones said:

Homework Statement

A vertical block-spring system on Earth has a period of 6.0 s. What is the period of this same system on the moon where the acceleration due to gravity is roughly 1/6 that of earth?

Homework Equations

w = √(k/m)
w = (2Pi)/T
T = 2Pi*√(m/k)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved for the period using the first two equations and found that g does not play a role in the equation. From this I said that the period of the spring should stay the same on the mood because the acceleration due to gravity does not affect the period.

The answer key for the problem says 15 seconds but I have no idea how.

Any help here? Confused.

Can you give us the full title, author/s, publisher, and publish date of the text that this came from?

BTW, to follow up with the question, the only difference that you see when you bring this spring-mass system to the moon is that the equilibrium position is different. The frequency and consequently, the period, of oscillation remain the same, as you have noted.

Zz.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth around an equilibrium position due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

How do I solve a simple harmonic motion problem?

To solve a simple harmonic motion problem, you can use the equation x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. You will also need to use the appropriate unit conversions for the given variables.

What are the key components of a simple harmonic motion problem?

The key components of a simple harmonic motion problem are the amplitude, angular frequency, phase angle, and time. These variables will be given in the problem and will be used to solve for the displacement of the body at a specific time.

What are some real-world applications of simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in various real-world systems such as pendulums, mass-spring systems, and musical instruments. It is also used in engineering for the design of shock absorbers, vibration isolators, and other mechanical systems.

How does the period of a simple harmonic motion change with different variables?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the angular frequency and inversely proportional to the amplitude. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases, and as the amplitude increases, the period increases. The phase angle does not affect the period of the motion.