Simple harmonic motion (direction of acceleration)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a pendulum experiment where the equilibrium position is at 30cm and the negative amplitude is located at 24.0cm. The particle moves from 24.0cm to 36.0cm and the acceleration is always directed towards the equilibrium position. It is stated that for parts (i) and (ii), the acceleration should be positive as it is in the same direction as the motion. However, at 34.0cm, which is to the right of the equilibrium position, the particle is moving away from the equilibrium position, so the acceleration should be negative. The concept is confirmed to be correct and a mathematical method is suggested to check the direction and magnitude of acceleration.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

my question is on part d, (iv), i assume this is a pendulum experiment. the equlibrium position is at 30cm. then the negative amplitude should be located at 24.0cm. the particle moved from 24.0cm to 36.0cm. the acceleration is always acted towards the equlibrium position. so for d part(i) and (ii) should be positive since it's in the same direction with acceleration. But at 34.0cm, which is on the right of equlibrium position, (the particle travel form left to right), so the particles is moving away from equlibrium position, so the acceleration should be negative? am i right?
Because the motion is oppostite to the direction of acceleration (acceleration is towards the equlibrium position)..

please correct me if my concept is wrong. thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140609_103645[1].jpg
    IMG_20140609_103645[1].jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. The answer to (d) part 4 is wrong as indicated in your figure.

Likes 1 person
One way to checit mathematically is to write your position function and take the derivative twice. Solve for your t values in the position function that give you the given platoon and given direction of velocity, then plug them into your acceleration function and you'll not only have the direction but the magnitude as well.

Related to Simple harmonic motion (direction of acceleration)

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a particle moves back and forth along a straight line, where its acceleration is directly proportional to its displacement from a fixed point and is always directed towards that point.

2. What is the direction of acceleration in simple harmonic motion?

The direction of acceleration in simple harmonic motion is always towards the equilibrium or rest position. This means that when the particle is moving away from the equilibrium, the acceleration is directed towards the equilibrium and vice versa.

3. How is the direction of acceleration related to displacement in simple harmonic motion?

The direction of acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement in simple harmonic motion. This means that as the displacement increases, the acceleration also increases and is always directed towards the equilibrium or rest position.

4. Is the direction of acceleration constant in simple harmonic motion?

Yes, the direction of acceleration is constant in simple harmonic motion. This is because the acceleration is always directed towards the equilibrium or rest position, regardless of the position of the particle.

5. How does the direction of acceleration change in simple harmonic motion?

The direction of acceleration changes continuously in simple harmonic motion as the particle moves back and forth. It is always directed towards the equilibrium or rest position and changes its direction as the particle moves from one side to the other.