Simple Harmonic motion and Doppler effect question

In summary: So at that point, the observed frequency would be the same as the source frequency? Yes, that's what I meant.
Xelb

Homework Statement

So you're being pushed on a swing by someone who is whistling at a constant 60Hz. At the bottom, Vmax is 4 m/s. Explain what you hear as you swing toward and away from the source of whistling (speed of sound is 343 m/s for this problem).

Homework Equations

Observed frequency for someone moving toward and away from the source (I calculated the numbers correctly, it's the explanation that needs work).

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that we know that at the bottom, you're moving at 4 m/s, so you can calculate the doppler shift only at that point. These shifts are 60.7Hz moving toward the source and 59.3Hz moving away from it. This demonstrates that, at this bottom point, you hear a higher frequency moving toward the source and a lower frequency moving away from it.

This is my explanation so far, but I also need to account for the all of the other points in between and not just the bottom point and how the frequency varies in between. How can I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xelb said:
I said that we know that at the bottom, you're moving at 4 m/s, so you can calculate the doppler shift only at that point. These shifts are 60.7Hz moving toward the source and 59.3Hz moving away from it. This demonstrates that, at this bottom point, you hear a higher frequency moving toward the source and a lower frequency moving away from it.

This is my explanation so far, but I also need to account for the all of the other points in between and not just the bottom point and how the frequency varies in between. How can I do this?

Actually, Doppler shift can be calculated for all other points provided you know the velocity at that point. From what I have understood in my class, the formula for Doppler shift is :

[itex]f=|f_0\frac{v-v_o}{v-v_s}|[/itex]
where v-vo, v-vs are actually the vector difference in the velocities of the sound and the observer and the sound and source respectively. You have to take their modulus in the equation for frequency.

Hi Xelb! :smile:

I'll add that, from the title to the question, you can presumably assume that the motion is shm. :wink:

Sunil Simha said:
Actually, Doppler shift can be calculated for all other points provided you know the velocity at that point. From what I have understood in my class, the formula for Doppler shift is :

[itex]f=|f_0\frac{v-v_o}{v-v_s}|[/itex]
where v-vo, v-vs are actually the vector difference in the velocities of the sound and the observer and the sound and source respectively. You have to take their modulus in the equation for frequency.

I only said you could calculate the doppler shift at this point because that's the only point where we are given velocity. At all the other points, I sort of have to guess what the frequency would be. I said that at the highest point that's closest to the source (the whistler) would be 60 Hz and that at the point farthest away from the source I said 58.6 Hz. At this point I'm just slightly confused as to how I can get these numbers. My physics prof said you can despite not knowing the velocity. I need to explain how the frequency varies at all of the points but I just don't know how...

Are you given the length of the swing? ( I mean the distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass of the person)

At highest point, the velocity of the observer is zero and hence the observed frequency is same as the source frequency.

Sunil Simha said:
Are you given the length of the swing? ( I mean the distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass of the person)

Nope!
Sunil Simha said:
At highest point, the velocity of the observer is zero and hence the observed frequency is same as the source frequency.

I didn't forget to mention this (that the observed frequency would be 60Hz at the highest point). However I'm not entirely sure how to go about calculating the observed frequency at the completely opposite side of the highest point without a length.

Xelb said:
I didn't forget to mention this (that the observed frequency would be 60Hz at the highest point). However I'm not entirely sure how to go about calculating the observed frequency at the completely opposite side of the highest point without a length.

I didn't understand what you meant by the opposite side of the highest point.

Sunil Simha said:
I didn't understand what you meant by the opposite side of the highest point.

pendulums.gif

Say at point 5 is where you hear the frequency of 60Hz...but what about point 1? That's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Xelb said:
pendulums.gif

Say at point 5 is where you hear the frequency of 60Hz...but what about point 1? That's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

At point 1 too, the velocity is zero isn't it? So the frequency at point 1 would still be 60 Hz.

Related to Simple Harmonic motion and Doppler effect question

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. This motion can be seen in many natural phenomena such as a swinging pendulum or a mass attached to a spring.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude of motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How is the frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion related to the mass and spring constant?

The frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion is directly proportional to the square root of the ratio between the spring constant and the mass. This means that as the spring constant increases or the mass decreases, the frequency of the motion will also increase.

4. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the perceived change in frequency of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This can be observed in sound waves, where a moving sound source will produce a higher frequency (pitch) when moving towards the observer and a lower frequency when moving away.

5. How is the Doppler effect used in real-life applications?

The Doppler effect is used in many real-life applications, such as in radar technology to detect the speed and location of objects, in medical imaging to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects. It is also used in everyday devices such as police radar guns and speed cameras to measure the speed of moving vehicles.