Simple Finding Spring Constant

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project involving comparing the spring constants of 20+ springs. The unit of the spring constant is N/m and it can be calculated by dividing the mass by the distance the spring has been stretched or compressed. The individual plans on using a digital force gauge to measure the force needed to stretch the spring a certain distance. They also mention using Hooke's law to calculate the spring constant and suggest researching online for further explanations. The conversation ends with the individual clarifying that they were a freshman in a senior class and scored perfectly on the finals, but can't remember the details since it was 4 years ago.
BLKKROW
Well i remember doing this in physics class like 4 years ago, and it slipped my mind.

I basically am doing a project of taking like 20+ springs and comparing there spring constants.

Am all of this will be in a lab. And if i remember correctly k=(Newtons)/ meter

i know this is probably wrong, but i can get my hands on a digital force gauge and any building materials.

can someone please point me in the right direction.

BTW i am planing on getting my doctorate in the physics field i just love it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The unit of the spring constant is indeed N/m as you pointed.
If your lab consists only by comparing the spring constants then it's easy. All you need are the springs, a single mass and a ruler. Not even a single calculator.
Put the springs in a vertical position and plug the mass at the bottom of the springs. Measure how much the springs expends. The one that expends the most has the smallest spring constant and the one that expends the less has the biggest spring constant.
However if you want to calculate their constants, it's another story.

i do want an accurate calculation. with a number.

each spring will only move a couple centimeters. so if k=n/m would i just divide the Newtons by the fraction of the centimeters/meter

Last edited:
F=mg=kx

k=mg/x

Savant13 said:
F=mg=kx

k=mg/x

please explain your acronyms ?

also i was planing on using a digital force gauge, and push the spring a set distance, and use the force it took to get to that distance as an accurate measurement?

Last edited:
Surely uou can find explanations on line!there you will get a more complete description..good practice if you really plan on studying physics...
if you studied this four years and and can't remember after seeing the formulas I'd suggest you rethink your direction.

Naty1 said:
Surely uou can find explanations on line!there you will get a more complete description..good practice if you really plan on studying physics...
if you studied this four years and and can't remember after seeing the formulas I'd suggest you rethink your direction.

4 years ago, please read the original post. I was actually a freshman in a senior class. And i was the only one to get a perfect score on our two finals. I am a smart person just can't remember cause it was 4 years ago

spring constant=(mass)(gravity)/ x

what is x??

Last edited:
x is the distance that the spring has been stretched or compressed away from the equilibrium position, which is the position where the spring would naturally come to rest (usually in meters),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Bright Wang said:
x is the distance that the spring has been stretched or compressed away from the equilibrium position, which is the position where the spring would naturally come to rest (usually in meters),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Thank you! For explaining

Also using this method i wouldn't need a force gauge correct?

Related to Simple Finding Spring Constant

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per distance, such as N/m or lb/in.

How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the force applied to a spring by the amount of deformation, or change in length, that occurs. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the deformation.

What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, as well as its dimensions and temperature. Different materials have different stiffness, and changing the shape or dimensions of a spring can alter its stiffness. Temperature can also affect the stiffness of a spring, as it can cause the material to expand or contract.

Why is finding the spring constant important?

The spring constant is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it can be used to calculate the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring. It is also used in the design and analysis of various mechanical systems, such as suspension systems and shock absorbers.

Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the factors mentioned above. It can also change if the spring is damaged or worn out, as this can affect its stiffness. Additionally, the spring constant can change in certain situations, such as when a spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, where it may exhibit non-linear behavior.