How do I Calculate the Spring Constant of a Piece of PVC pipe?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who recently got a job delivering newspapers and wants to create a crossbow to save time. They are trying to find the spring constant of a piece of PVC pipe to properly design the crossbow. They consider using a sling instead and someone suggests using wood or steel instead of PVC. The conversation ends with a link to a resource for finding the elastic properties of PVC pipes.
JosephStevens99
Okay so, recently I got a job with my local newspaper delivering newspapers to make some money while deciding how I want to continue my educational career (I already have some college under my belt but I'm taking a semester off). All the newspapers have to be at the houses by 6 am so in order to save time I wanted to make a newspaper crossbow which will deliver the newspapers a consistent 1.83 meters from my car window (which is 1.22 meters above the ground). I already calculated how much force it would take to launch newspapers of varying mass the fixed distance of 1.83 meters and am starting to design the crossbow.

My question is how would I go about finding the spring constant of a piece of PVC pipe approximately 0.3 meters long so that I can properly design my crossbow. Do I have to go out and get a piece of PVC pipe that long (or I guess short) and do some experimenting or is there a resource I can look up online to find the spring constant of PVC piping by length (and the diameter) of the pipe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
JosephStevens99 said:
piece of PVC pipe approximately 0.3 meters
That sounds way too short to be used as a bow. Maybe look at making an extension that you can use to sling the papers instead?

(kind of like the ball slingers used for playing "fetch" with dogs, but with an end tuned for newspapers...)

https://img.chewy.com/is/image/catalog/151628_PT1._AC_SL1500_V1550270910_.jpg
1571422519530.png

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That sounds way too short to be used as a bow. Maybe look at making an extension that you can use to sling the papers instead?

(kind of like the ball slingers used for playing "fetch" with dogs, but with an end tuned for newspapers...)

https://img.chewy.com/is/image/catalog/151628_PT1._AC_SL1500_V1550270910_.jpgView attachment 251416

Hmmm, I'll definitely consider this at it seems like a much easier solution than building a whole crossbow. Thank you for your time and input!

Likes anorlunda and berkeman
JosephStevens99 said:
deliver the newspapers a consistent 1.83 meters from my car
Is that the right distance? I'd think you can easily toss a newspaper that "far" - it's only six feet.

gmax137 said:
it's only six feet
I was guessing he needs to toss it that far out the passenger window while driving, but I could be wrong...

PVC is a poor choice for a spring. It will deform too easily. How about wood or steel?
The answer to your question is here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281786040_Elastic_properties_of_PVC_pipes
It's not a simple question, so you won't get a simple answer. As you suggest, getting some and trying it is probably the best approach.

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How do I calculate the spring constant of a piece of PVC pipe?

To calculate the spring constant of a piece of PVC pipe, you will need to measure the length and diameter of the pipe, as well as the force required to compress or stretch it. Then, use the formula k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the displacement of the pipe.

3. Can the spring constant of a PVC pipe vary?

Yes, the spring constant of a PVC pipe can vary depending on factors such as the type of PVC used, the thickness of the pipe, and the temperature. It is important to use the specific measurements and conditions for your particular pipe when calculating the spring constant.

4. What units are used to measure spring constant?

The units used to measure spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m) in the metric system and pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

5. Why is calculating the spring constant important?

Calculating the spring constant is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of springs in various applications. It is also used in engineering and design to ensure that springs are able to withstand the necessary forces and perform their intended functions.