Simple Differentiability and Continuity Question

In summary, the function f(x) is not differentiable at x = 0 because the limit of the numerator does not exist, which is a general requirement for a function to be differentiable. This can be seen in the example provided as well, where the limit of the numerator exists but is not 0, leading to the non-existence of the derivative.
Wormaldson

Homework Statement

If f(x) = 3 for x < 0 and f(x) = 2x for x ≥ 0, is f(x) differentiable at x = 0? State and justify why/why not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, since f(x) is not continuous and the limit doesn't exist as x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0, the function shouldn't be differentiable at that point. But I can't justify this because I don't really understand why not. Simply put, I get that the limit doesn't exist at 0 and, hence, the function is discontinuous there, but I don't see why that invalidates the idea that the gradient of the line f(x) = 2x at x = 0 is 2. Further, as far as I can tell (and I have a strong feeling I'm going wrong here somewhere), f'(x) = 0 for x < 0 and f'(x) = 2 for x ≥ 0, which seems to suggest that the derivative of f(x) for all values of x ≥ 0 is 2. What am I missing here?

As always, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You say, twice, that the limit does not exist at 0. What limit? I think you mean just [itex]lim_{x\to 0} f(x)[/itex] but the derivative, at x= 0, is defined as
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}= \lim{h\to 0} \frac{f(h)}{h}[/tex]
if the numerator does not go to 0, then that limit cannot exist.

HallsofIvy said:
You say, twice, that the limit does not exist at 0. What limit? I think you mean just [itex]lim_{x\to 0} f(x)[/itex] but the derivative, at x= 0, is defined as
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}= \lim{h\to 0} \frac{f(h)}{h}[/tex]
if the numerator does not go to 0, then that limit cannot exist.

You're right; I was considering the problem in too narrow a scope and only considering the limit as x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0. So let's see: the limit as x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 of f(x) does not exist, therefore, the limit as h[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 of f(0 + h) - f(0) does not exist either. The limit as h[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 of h is obviously just 0, and, since in [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(0 + h) - f(0)}{h}[/tex] the denominator approaches 0 as expected, but the numerator does not exist, then the limit of the quotient and hence the derivative does not exist. Is that right?

For this particular function, yes, the limit of the numerator does not exist. But the reason why a function has to be continuous to be differentiable is more general. Consider another example: f(x)= 2x for x not equal to 0, f(0)= 1. Now [itex]\lim_{h\to 0}f(h)= 0[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} f(h)- f(0)= -1[/itex]. The limit of the numerator does exist but is not 0 so [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} (f(h)- f(0))/h[/itex] does not exist.

Related to Simple Differentiability and Continuity Question

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness and continuity of a function. A function is considered differentiable at a point if the slope of the tangent line at that point exists and is unique.

2. How is differentiability related to continuity?

Differentiability and continuity are closely related concepts. A function must be continuous at a point in order for it to be differentiable at that point. However, a function can be continuous without being differentiable.

3. What is the difference between differentiability and differentiability everywhere?

A function is considered differentiable if it is differentiable at every point in its domain. However, a function can also be differentiable at a specific point without being differentiable everywhere on its domain.

4. How can I determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable at a point if it has a tangent line at that point. This can be determined by calculating the derivative of the function at that point. If the derivative exists and is unique, then the function is differentiable at that point.

5. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point without being continuous at that point. The definition of differentiability requires continuity at the point in question.