Simple Derivative question from a Calc beginner

In summary, the speaker is a new member in a forum and is seeking help in solving a question involving differentiating equations. They provide their attempt at deriving the equation and ask for corrections. Another member offers a suggestion for entering the equation correctly in a web program. They also suggest bringing up the issue with the instructor due to the program's tendency to reject correct answers.
Oliviaven
Hi I'm new in the forum, so if I'm doing anything wrong or made a really silly mistake don't laugh ^^

So we started to learn about differentiating equations not long ago and I'm currently stuck at one question:

y = e^αx sin βx

My attempt on deriving it:

y'=(a)(e^ax)(sinβx)+(e^ax)(cosβx)(β)

the web program said it was wrong, please correct me :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Aw, c'mon, we don't have much else to laugh at.

Ah, blast! Your answer is correct!

I really hate "web" assignments. Often something is marked wrong just because it is not written in the "right" form.

Try entering it as [itex]ae^{ax}sin(\beta x)+ \beta e^{ax}cos(\beta x)[/itex] or [itex]e^{ax}(a sin(\beta x)+ \beta cos(\beta x))[/itex].

sigh i tried a couple of variations but I ended up being locked up since I reached the maximum amount of trials. Thanks for the confirmation anyway ^^

Bring up the matter of your correct answer being rejected by the Web-system with your instructor. I've found that the more mathematically advanced the course is, the greater the likelihood that the program will call correct entries "wrong". (For instance, in WebAssign, you must say "(sin x)2", NEVER "sin2 x" !)

I offered students the option of working with WebAssign in my calculus course a while back: they found the way of entering calculus expressions so cumbersome, and I had to check rejected answers so many times, that I'd never touch the accursed system for a course beyond algebra again...

Oliviaven said:
Hi I'm new in the forum, so if I'm doing anything wrong or made a really silly mistake don't laugh ^^

So we started to learn about differentiating equations not long ago and I'm currently stuck at one question:

y = e^αx sin βx

My attempt on deriving it:

y'=(a)(e^ax)(sinβx)+(e^ax)(cosβx)(β)

the web program said it was wrong, please correct me :D

You probably should make sure the parentheses are adequate. Also, you had an alpha when you gave us y = e^αx sin βx, then used the letter, a, in your derivative expression.

I would enter: y'=(α)(e^(αx))(sin(βx))+(e(^αx))(cos(βx))(β)

Related to Simple Derivative question from a Calc beginner

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing at a given point, or how quickly the output of the function is changing in relation to the input.

What is the purpose of finding a derivative?

The purpose of finding a derivative is to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and to make predictions about its future behavior. Derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

How do you find a derivative?

To find a derivative, you can use the derivative rules, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules provide a step-by-step process for finding the derivative of a function.

What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative measures the rate of change of a function, while an integral measures the accumulation of a function over a specific interval. In other words, a derivative shows the slope of a function, while an integral shows the area under the curve of a function.

What are some real-world applications of derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many real-world applications, such as predicting stock market trends, optimizing production processes, determining the speed and acceleration of objects in motion, and analyzing the growth of populations. They are also used in fields like medicine and biology to model and understand complex systems.