Simple Counter-balance/Counter-weight Calculation Problem

• B
  • Thread starter rh2022
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses a torque problem involving a pole stand with an object hanging on it. There are two cases being considered, one where counterweights A and B are equal and one where counterweight C is 20 kg. The question also addresses the effect of the pole frame having mass on the stability of the system. The solution involves identifying the centers of mass and possible fulcrum lines, and calculating the total torque for different rotation angles. It is noted that rapid spinning may cause the system to overbalance. The effectiveness and stability of both cases is also discussed.
rh2022
Hi, I am trying to figure out how much weight is needed to counter balance a pole stand where an object(m kg) is hanging. I also want to know which is more effective way to place counterweight as shown in the picture below. I was wondering if the counterweight A, B, and C are equal.

It seems to be a simple torque problem, but I am a bit confused as the pole is not a straight line.
Any help would be appreciated.

counterweight-problem.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
It is a simple torque problem.
Map all the mass onto the horizontal plane.
Assume the pole frame is rigid and has no mass.
Assume the diagonal line is the fulcrum = hinge line.
Case #1: A = B = 10 kg. A + B = 20 kg.
Case #2: C = 20 kg.

Thank you for your reply.
I have an additional question.

What if the pole frame has mass: pole frame = 50kg, pole arm = 30kg, base frame = 20kg, base legs = 20kg each. Does it make difference?
I want the green object X(20kg) rotate/swing 360 degree around the Pole Frame without flipping it.
Do you think both Case #1 and Case #2 should provide stable support if I place a 20kg+ counter weight at the end base leg frame?
counterweight-problem_2.jpg

rh2022 said:
I want the green object X(20kg) rotate/swing 360 degree around the Pole Frame without flipping it.
You must draw the plan view, then mark all the centres of mass.
Identify the possible fulcrum line for each situation.
From that you can work out the total torque for different rotation angles.
You are considering only the static balance, do not spin it rapidly.
Note that when it starts to overbalance it will accelerate rapidly.

I expect case #2 will fail at some angle well before 135°.
Case #1 may be more secure, but you must do the numbers.

Last edited:

Related to Simple Counter-balance/Counter-weight Calculation Problem

1. How do you calculate the counter-balance/counter-weight for a simple machine?

The counter-balance or counter-weight for a simple machine can be calculated by using the formula: weight of the load ÷ weight of the counter-balance = distance between the fulcrum and the load ÷ distance between the fulcrum and the counter-balance. This will give you the weight of the counter-balance needed to balance the load.

2. What is the purpose of a counter-balance/counter-weight in a simple machine?

The purpose of a counter-balance or counter-weight in a simple machine is to balance the weight of the load being lifted or moved. This helps to reduce the effort needed to operate the machine and prevents it from tipping over.

3. How do you determine the distance between the fulcrum and the load in a simple machine?

The distance between the fulcrum and the load in a simple machine can be measured using a ruler or tape measure. This distance is important in calculating the weight of the counter-balance needed to balance the load.

4. Can a counter-balance/counter-weight be used in any type of simple machine?

Yes, a counter-balance or counter-weight can be used in various types of simple machines such as levers, pulleys, and cranes. The specific weight and placement of the counter-balance will vary depending on the type of machine and the weight of the load.

5. What factors should be considered when calculating the counter-balance/counter-weight for a simple machine?

When calculating the counter-balance or counter-weight for a simple machine, factors such as the weight of the load, the distance between the fulcrum and the load, and the type of simple machine being used should be taken into consideration. It is also important to ensure that the counter-balance is securely attached to the machine to prevent accidents.