Simple complex number question

In summary: When you generalise a complex number into a letter a, I can't understand how you deal with it :/ Unless it's just something like:a=b=e^{2n \pi}Sorry, but you'll have to get used to it.
PhyStan7
Sorry i can tell I am being stupid and missing something here.

Homework Statement

if 7^(3+2i)=re^(i[theta]) find values of the real numbers r and [theta]

Homework Equations

er^(i[theta])=r(cos[theta]+isin[theta])

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok you know that 7^(3+2i)=(7^3)(7^2i) but i don't know what to do from here. I think there must be a simple formula or concept i am missing :s. There are similar questions aswel such as (1+i)^i which i also don't know how to solve. I know it must involve getting the i off the top but am unsure how to go about this. Advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhyStan7! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: 7i = (eln7)i :wink:

Cheers tiny-tim!

So is this right...

343e(2i)ln7=re

and as re=r(cos(θ)+isin(θ))

θ=ln49 and r=343?

Or have i gone wrong somewhere?

Cheers

Yup, that's it! :smile:

Hi, just thought I'd jump in and ask if there was a proof for 7i=(eln(7))i

Cheers!

edit: the better question is probably, should it proven like:

7i = e
i ln(7) = iθ
ln(7) = θ

?

Hi tomeatworld! :wink:

A more fundamental question is, when does ai = bi ?

That's the same as (a/b)i = 1, so put a/b in polar form, and what do you get? :smile:

Surely if ai = bi then a = b. Converting a/b to polar form, surely just leaves a/b. Rather confused...

tomeatworld said:
Hi, just thought I'd jump in and ask if there was a proof for 7i=(eln(7))i
Actually, in a typical formulation,
7i=exp(ln(7) i)​
is the definition of what complex exponentiation means. (with exp defined by its power series)

tomeatworld said:
Converting a/b to polar form, surely just leaves a/b.

That's if a and b are real. ok then … if a/b is real, when is (a/b)i = 1 ? :smile:

Well, quick logging and algebra gives me it will equal 1 when: b=ei ln(a). Meaning that when a>0 it works. Am I missing anything or got it completely wrong?

uhh? That's b = ai. :confused:

Try this … what are all the real solutions for xi = 1 ?

So i ln(x) = 0. then if the imaginary part is 0, i spose you should say x=[tex]e^{2n \pi}[/tex]. Sound right?

tomeatworld said:
So i ln(x) = 0. then if the imaginary part is 0, i spose you should say x=[tex]e^{2n \pi}[/tex]. Sound right?

Right! :smile:

ok, so, for general complex numbers a and b, ai = bi when … ? :wink:

When you generalise a complex number into a letter a, I can't understand how you deal with it :/ Unless it's just something like:

a=b=[tex]e^{2n \pi}[/tex]

Sorry, but you'll have to get used to it.

A general complex number usually is represented by a single letter (usually "z").

(Just like a vector being represented by a single letter a)

we usually use z = a + bi and work from there. but with two it's killing me...

Related to Simple complex number question

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (4 + 5i) = (3+4) + (2i+5i) = 7 + 7i.

3. What is the difference between a real and imaginary number?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line, including both positive and negative numbers. An imaginary number is a number that, when squared, gives a negative result. Imaginary numbers are typically represented by the letter i.

4. How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like with binomials. First, multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. For example, (3 + 2i)(4 + 5i) = 3(4) + 3(5i) + 2i(4) + 2i(5i) = 12 + 15i + 8i + 10i² = 12 + 23i - 10 = 2 + 23i.

5. Can you divide complex numbers?

Yes, you can divide complex numbers. To divide complex numbers, you need to multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. For example, (3 + 2i) / (4 + 5i) = (3 + 2i) * (4 - 5i) / (4 + 5i) * (4 - 5i) = (12 - 20i + 8i + 10) / (16 - 25i + 20i - 25i²) = (22 - 12i) / (41) = 22/41 - 12i/41.