Simple Circuit diagram Question

In summary, when a third lamp Z is connected in parallel with lamp X, the total resistance decreases and the current flowing through lamp Y increases, resulting in a brighter bulb.
skykiller95
The diagram shows identical lamps X and Y connected in series with a battery. The lamps light with normal brightness. A third lamp Z is connected in parallel with lamp X.

What happens to the brightness of lamp Y?
A) Brighter than normal
B) Normal
C) Dimmer than normal
D) Very dim (cannot be seen)

I'm completely clueless about it and slightly confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it in terms of resistors - is there a difference in total resistance between the first situation and the second?

What do you think happens? Hint: See if you can figure out how the current passing through lamp Y changes (if it does).

Hmms, I would have to say, yes?

Doc Al said:
What do you think happens? Hint: See if you can figure out how the current passing through lamp Y changes (if it does).

Hmm, wouldn't the additional lamp added in parallel alter the current in the entire circuit?

skykiller95 said:
Hmm, wouldn't the additional lamp added in parallel alter the current in the entire circuit?
Yes, so what happens to the current going through lamp Y? Increase, decrease, or remain the same?

Doc Al said:
Yes, so what happens to the current going through lamp Y? Increase, decrease, or remain the same?

I'm not so sure, but I would say increase.

skykiller95 said:
I'm not so sure, but I would say increase.
Guessing doesn't count.

Take daveb's hint: The lamps are like resistors. What happens to the total resistance and thus to the current?

Doc Al said:
Guessing doesn't count.

Take daveb's hint: The lamps are like resistors. What happens to the total resistance and thus to the current?

Total resistance decreases, current increases.

skykiller95 said:
Total resistance decreases, current increases.
Good!

Doc Al said:
Good!

Oh so the bulb is brighter?
Thanks for helping guys!

skykiller95 said:
Oh so the bulb is brighter?
Right.

Adding that resistor in parallel with X drops the total resistance, which increases the current flowing through Y. More current means a brighter bulb.

Related to Simple Circuit diagram Question

1. What is a simple circuit diagram?

A simple circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electric circuit. It shows the components and connections in a simplified way, making it easier to understand the flow of electricity through the circuit.

2. Why is a simple circuit diagram important?

A simple circuit diagram is important because it helps to visually understand the components and connections in a circuit. It is a useful tool for troubleshooting and designing circuits, and can also be used to teach students about electricity.

3. What are the basic elements of a simple circuit diagram?

The basic elements of a simple circuit diagram include a power source (such as a battery), wires, switches, resistors, and other components such as light bulbs or motors. These elements are represented by symbols in the diagram.

4. How do you read a simple circuit diagram?

To read a simple circuit diagram, start at the power source and trace the path of the electricity through the circuit. The direction of the flow is indicated by arrows. Follow the connections and symbols to understand how the circuit is connected and what components are involved.

5. Can a simple circuit diagram be used for complex circuits?

Yes, a simple circuit diagram can be used as a starting point for understanding more complex circuits. However, for more complicated circuits, additional diagrams and annotations may be needed to fully understand the circuit and its function.