Simple calculus - interpretation Euler-Lagrange equation

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving partial derivatives and their interpretation. The main problem is understanding how to interpret a particular term, and the conversation ends with the person thanking StatusX for their help in understanding the fundamentals.
oldstudent
This is not a homework question but one that is part of the course material and I can't really move on until I understand the basic calculus.

I have a problem interpreting "d by dx of partial dF by dy' equals partial d by dy' of dF by dx" in the following question, which I set out and then highlight my problem.

For F = (x^2 + y'^2)^1/2, find;

partial dF/dx = x(x^2 + y'^2)^-1/2

partial dF/dy = 0

partial dF/dy' = y'(x^2 + y'^2)^-1/2

dF/dx = p.dF/dx + p.dF/dy.y' + p.dF/dy'.y''

Show that: d/dx(p.dF/dy') = p.d/dy'(dF/dx)

Taking the RHS I believe is:

p.d/dy'(dF/dx) = p.d/dy'[x(x^2 + y'^2)^-1/2 + p.dF/dy.y' +

y'(x^2 + y'^2)^-1/2 y'']

ditto = - xy'(x^2 + y'^2)^3/2 + p.d/dy' pdF/dy.y'

- y'^2 y''(x^2 + y'^2)^3/2

My problem is that I have forgotten how to interprete p.d/dy' pdF/dy.y' I know that the answer is y''(x^2 + y'^2)^-1/2 but I don't understand how one gets this answer when partial dF/dy = 0

and I don't know how to interpret the LHS - d/dx(partial dF/dy') at all although I appreciate that it gives the same answer for this function as the RHS.
I would appreciate some help on the fundamentals. Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case [itex]\partial F/\partial y =0 [/itex], so that term drops out. In general you would write out that term like the others and do just what you did with them.

The following:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{\partial F}{\partial y'} \right)[/tex]

is computed the same way as [itex]dF/dx[/itex]. Remember that [itex]\partial F/\partial y' [/itex] is a function you know, just like F. Just write it out like your fifth line above.

Thank you StatusX. I've got it at last.

Related to Simple calculus - interpretation Euler-Lagrange equation

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to determine the optimal path or function that minimizes a certain functional, which is a mathematical expression that takes in a function as an input and returns a real number as an output.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived using the calculus of variations and the principle of least action. It involves taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the function and setting it equal to zero, and then solving for the function.

3. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a powerful tool for solving optimization problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also has applications in the study of differential equations and the theory of functions of a complex variable.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation related to the calculus of variations?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is the central equation in the calculus of variations. It is used to find the extrema of a functional, which is a key concept in the calculus of variations. The equation is derived by applying the calculus of variations to the functional.

5. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, it is a fundamental tool in the study of partial differential equations, which involve functions of multiple variables. The higher-dimensional version of the Euler-Lagrange equation is known as the Euler-Lagrange system and is used to find solutions to these types of equations.