Simple 2-D Uniform Motion Problem

In summary, the initial velocity of a ball rolling is 40 m/s [W], and it undergoes an acceleration of 5.0 m/s^2 [N] for 6.0 seconds. The final velocity of the ball is 50 m/s [W37*N], and its displacement in the 6.0 seconds is 260 m [W21*N]. To draw a vector diagram, you can use the equations V = U + a * t and S = U * t + (1/2) * a * t * t, where V is final velocity, U is initial velocity, t is time taken, and S is distance traveled in time t. The azimuth (angle) from west can be
aishax
A ball rolling with an initial velocity of 40 m/s [W] undergoes an acceleration of 5.0 m/s^2 [N] for a period of 6.0 seconds.

a) What is the final velocity of the ball?
b) What is the displacement of the ball in the 6.0 seconds?

Can someone explain how I would draw this vector diagram? What gets me stuck is how acceleration is in a different direction than the initial velocity. I have a test tomorrow on Kinematics, so all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
V = U + a * t

S = U * t + (1/2) * a * t * t

V = final velocity
U = initial velocity
t = time taken
S = distance traveled in time t

Unfortunately, this problem isn't that simple.
The answer given is: a) 50 m/s [W37*N] b) 260 m [W21*N]

I assume it is required for me to draw a vector diagram, but the fact that this problem involves acceleration is what is confusing me.

ok, I did not see the directions

Velocity in west direction = 40
velocity in N is U + a *t = 0 + 5 * 6 = 30

Now the final velocity is Northwest = sqrt ( 40^2 + 30 ^2) = 50 m/sec

azimuth (angle) from west = tan inverse(3/4) = 34 degrees W

Distance is sqrt [(X * X + Y *Y)]

X = 40 * 6 = 240 m
Y = 0.5 * 5 * 6 * 6 = 90

Distance = 256.3m

azimuth = tan inverse (90/240) = 20.55

Last edited:
Ahh, makes complete sense. Thanks so much!

Related to Simple 2-D Uniform Motion Problem

1. What is a simple 2-D uniform motion problem?

A simple 2-D uniform motion problem involves an object moving in a straight line at a constant speed in two dimensions (horizontal and vertical). This type of problem is commonly used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion.

2. How do I solve a simple 2-D uniform motion problem?

To solve a simple 2-D uniform motion problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include distance = speed x time, velocity = distance/time, and acceleration = change in velocity/time. You will also need to know the initial position and velocity of the object, as well as the time interval.

3. What are some real-life examples of simple 2-D uniform motion?

Some common examples of simple 2-D uniform motion include a car traveling on a straight road, a ball thrown straight up and coming back down, and a person walking in a straight line at a constant speed.

4. How is simple 2-D uniform motion different from complex motion?

Simple 2-D uniform motion only involves an object moving at a constant speed in two dimensions, while complex motion can involve changes in speed and direction. Simple 2-D uniform motion is easier to calculate and understand, while complex motion may require more advanced mathematical concepts.

5. Can simple 2-D uniform motion problems be applied to non-linear motion?

No, simple 2-D uniform motion problems only apply to linear motion, which means the object is moving in a straight line. Non-linear motion, such as circular or curvilinear motion, requires different equations and concepts to solve.