Silly question about units of Momentum Density from NG Action

In summary: Coursework area.In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion of the units of momentum density in the Nambu-Goto Action and its use in deriving the wave equation. The question is whether the momentum density should have units of mass divided by time or mass times length. The expert suggests that it should have units of mass divided by time, as it is differentiated with respect to velocity. The conversation ends with the suggestion to move it to the Coursework area.
benbenny
Ok, I am thinking that I should probably move this to the Coursework area. I am not sure how to do that or if I even can...

My bad...Excuse the question but I am stuck on this for the past hour.

I studying Zweibach's "A first Course in String Theory". From the Nambu-Goto Action he derives the wave equation which consists of the term

[tex] \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{X} ^{\mu}} &= -\frac{T_{0}}{c}\frac{\dot{X} \cdot X')X'_{\mu}-(x')^{2}\dot{X}_{\mu}} {\sqrt{(\dot{X} \cdot X')^{2} - (\dot{X})^{2}(X')^{2}}} \equiv \mathcal{P}^{\tau}_{\mu} [/tex]

Now this [tex] \mathcal{P}^{\tau}_{\mu} [/tex] is referred to as the momentum density and is used as such later on in the book:

[tex] p_\mu(\tau) = \int ^{\sigma _{1}}_{0} \mathcal{P}^{\tau}_{\mu}(\tau , \sigma) d\sigma [/tex]

Im confused because I would expect [tex] \mathcal{P}^{\tau}_{\mu} [/tex] to have units of Mass divided by time, if \sigma has units of length, or units of momentum, if \sigma is dimensionless, so that when you integrate over \sigma you get units of momentum.

But as far as I can see [tex] \mathcal{P}^{\tau}_{\mu} [/tex] has units of mass times length. I get this becuase the lagrangian density has units of ML^2/T and it is differentiated with respect to velocity, thus it takes units of ML.

Can someone help with this?

Thanks.

B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you're not doing functional differentiation, I expect your L to be the Lagranian density in one dimension. Since a string is one-dimensional, this is

energy/length = (ML^2/T^2)/L = ML/T^2

The differentiated L on your left (momentum density) side would then have dimension

(ML/T^2) / (L/T) = M/T

Total momentum, integrated along the string length would have dimension

(M/T)*L = M*L/T

which seems right, knowing that momentum can be expressed as mass*velocity.

Torquil

Related to Silly question about units of Momentum Density from NG Action

What is momentum density?

Momentum density is a measure of the amount of momentum per unit volume in a given system. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum density calculated?

Momentum density is calculated by taking the product of the mass density and velocity of a system at a specific point in space. It is represented by the symbol p.

What are the units of momentum density?

The units of momentum density depend on the units used for mass and velocity. In the SI system, momentum density is typically measured in kilograms per meter per second (kg/m/s).

How is momentum density related to Newton's Second Law?

Momentum density is directly related to Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum over time. Therefore, changes in momentum density can help us understand the forces acting on a system.

Why is momentum density important in physics?

Momentum density is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of objects in a given system. It is used in various fields, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems.