Silly differentiation from first principles question

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question asking for the limit of a difference quotient, which is a generalization of the concept of gradient to curves. It is known as differentiation from first principles and is used to find the derivative of a function. The technical term for this limit is the difference quotient. The person is struggling with the question and is seeking help to better understand the concept.
Monarch
I've got some maths homework to do over the summer before I go back to uni and there's this stupid question on there which is one of those 'so basic I don't know it' kind of questions, so here goes.

Homework Statement

What is LimΔx→0[itex]\frac{y(x+Δx) - y(x)}{Δx}[/itex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this is just differentiation from first principles, you can take that and derive the whole d/dx relation and stuff, but what exactly is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it's differentiation from first principles. You can think of it as the limit of [itex]\frac{{\rm rise}}{{\rm run}}[/itex] as "run" goes to zero. It therefore is a generalization of the concept of the gradient of a straight line to the "incremental gradient" of a curve.

Why don't you have an attempt at evaluating the limit for some simple functions, like [itex]y=3x+2[/itex], [itex]y=x^2[/itex] and [itex]y=1/x[/itex] for some simple examples.

If that is all of the question, then it is really a simple question. What is the technical term for this particular kind of limit? Differentiation is not exactly right, it explains what you are doing, but does not name the result.

Monarch said:
I've got some maths homework to do over the summer before I go back to uni and there's this stupid question on there which is one of those 'so basic I don't know it' kind of questions, so here goes.

Homework Statement

What is LimΔx→0[itex]\frac{y(x+Δx) - y(x)}{Δx}[/itex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this is just differentiation from first principles, you can take that and derive the whole d/dx relation and stuff, but what exactly is this?

The quantity you are taking the limit of is called the difference quotient. The result of taking the limit of the difference quotient is the derivative y'(x).

Thanks all, like I said, so basic I don't really know what to say about it. I use that kind of thing so often but never have to think about exactly what it is that is seems I've just taken its existence for granted, but I should be able to get an answer out of it from the comments made.

Related to Silly differentiation from first principles question

What is differentiation from first principles?

Differentiation from first principles is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function at a specific point. It involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the interval between two points on the function approaches zero.

Why is differentiation from first principles important?

Differentiation from first principles allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. This is useful in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and economics.

What are the steps for solving a differentiation from first principles problem?

The steps for solving a differentiation from first principles problem are as follows: 1) Choose a function to differentiate. 2) Choose two points on the function (x and x+h). 3) Use the difference quotient formula to find the slope between the two points. 4) Take the limit as h approaches 0 to find the instantaneous rate of change at the point x.

What are some common mistakes when solving differentiation from first principles problems?

Some common mistakes when solving differentiation from first principles problems include not simplifying the difference quotient fully, forgetting to take the limit, and using the wrong formula. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these errors.

How can I practice and improve my skills in differentiation from first principles?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in differentiation from first principles is to solve a variety of problems using this method. You can find practice problems online or in a calculus textbook. It is also helpful to work with a tutor or study group to get feedback and learn from your mistakes.