Significant digits including only one zero

In summary, the problem asks to find deceleration from 60km/h to 0km/h in 1.2 seconds. The speed formulas can be used to solve this problem, with a final answer of 2 significant digits. The initial speed of 0km/h can be ignored for significant digits. When dealing with a small toy initially not moving, either 0m/s or the number of significant digits used for the other data can be used, as it is not possible to determine the exact velocity with precision.
alingy1

Homework Statement

The problem asks us to find deceleration from 60km/h to 0km/h in 1,2 seconds.

Homework Equations

The speed formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to apply the formula. However, in the problem, it is written 0km/h. How many significant digits is that? How many significant digits should i have in this problem for the final result?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have 2 in your answer as acceleration is the change in velocity (i.e. 60km/h in this case). The 0km/h can be ignored in the case of significant digits :smile:

Thank you

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. The zero is confusing. Also, for my lab report, I have to jot down the speed of a small toy according to the time passed. At the beginning, the toy is not moving. Should I put 0m/s or the number of significant digits put for the other data, since we can't really be sure the toy is not moving very very slightly?
Thanks again.

If it's not moving initially, 0 m/s will be fine.

"Not moving" implies zero km/h with extreme precision. That is different from 0km/h. What would your answer be if the original question was looking for 60km/h to 1km/h?

Related to Significant digits including only one zero

1. What is the significance of having only one zero in significant digits?

The presence of a zero in significant digits indicates that the value is not exactly known and is an estimate or approximation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant digits when there is only one zero?

Insignificant zeros at the beginning of a number do not count as significant digits. However, a zero between two significant digits or at the end of a number is considered significant.

3. Can a number with only one zero have more than one significant digit?

Yes, a number with only one zero can have multiple significant digits if the zero is placed between two non-zero digits. For example, 1001 has four significant digits.

4. What is the purpose of significant digits in scientific calculations?

Significant digits are used to indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They help ensure that the final result is not more precise than the original data.

5. How do significant digits affect the rounding of a number with only one zero?

When rounding a number with only one zero, the zero is usually kept to maintain the significance of the measurement. However, if the zero is in the last decimal place and the number is being rounded to a whole number, it may be dropped.