A question about significant figures and rounding

In summary: This would mean, in this example, that the uncertainty is about ±0.1 meters.In summary, the answer to (72.4 meters)*(cos58) should have 3 significant figures because 72.4 has the least number of significant digits (3) and cos58 has many. However, if 58 degrees is considered an exact number, the answer should have 2 significant figures. The uncertainty in the measurement of 58 degrees would be ±1 degree, resulting in an uncertainty of ±0.1 meters in the answer. Therefore, the most appropriate way to write the answer would be 38 meters, which means (roughly speaking) 38±1m.
trsnd

Homework Statement

What is the answer to (72.4meters)*(cos58)? How many significant figures does it have, and why?

Homework Equations

"The least number of significant figures in any number of the problem determines the number of significant figures in the answer."
cos58=0.529919264233...

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer should have 3 significant figures, because 72.4 has the least number of significant digits(3), and cos58 has many.
I multiplied 72.4 with cos58 using a calculator, and it gave me the result 38.366154... I rounded up to 3 figures, and found (38.4m). When i entered the question on wolfram alpha, it gave me the real result, 38.37m.

Physics news on Phys.org
trsnd said:
"The least number of significant figures in any number of the problem determines the number of significant figures in the answer."
cos58=0.529919264233...

Is the angle a measurement? If so, then it has two significant figures as written and the answer should have two significant figures. Although the uncertainty is not stated explicitly in either case let us assume that there is an uncertainty of ±1 in the most precise digit in both measurements (that is, 72.4±0.1m and 58±1 degree). The highest possible value given this range of uncertainty is about 39.4 meters. The lowest possible value is about 37.2 meters. The best value is, of course, about 38.4 meters. Notice the variation in the 1s place. The most appropriate way to write the answer would therefore be: 38 meters. Which means (roughly speaking) 38±1m.

Edit: for clarification

Thank you for your answer, but can't we substitue cos58 for 0.529919264233... which is an irrational number, so it has infinite significant numbers, and has no uncertainity? In that case, shouldn't the answer be 38.4?
I don't know, maybe the textbook I'm reading gave the answer wrong, but it's also 38.37 on wolfram alpha.

It depends. Is 58 degrees a measurement or not? If it is a measurement then it is subject to uncertainty and, as written, has two significant figures. If, on the other hand, you assume that 58 degrees is an exact number then it has 'an infinite number of significant figures' as you say. In that case then your single measurement (the measure of meters) has three significant figures and therefore so must the answer.

Related to A question about significant figures and rounding

1. What are significant figures?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that contribute to its precision. They represent the meaningful and reliable digits in a measurement or calculation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The rules for determining significant figures are:
1. All non-zero digits are significant.
2. Zeros between non-zero digits are significant.
3. Zeros to the left of the first non-zero digit are not significant.
4. Zeros to the right of a decimal place are significant.
5. Zeros at the end of a number without a decimal point may or may not be significant, depending on the context. To clarify, use scientific notation.

3. When do I round a number to the correct number of significant figures?

The general rule for rounding is to look at the digit immediately to the right of the desired significant figure. If it is 5 or greater, round the desired digit up. If it is less than 5, round the desired digit down.

4. What is the purpose of significant figures in scientific calculations?

Significant figures help to maintain the accuracy and precision of measurements and calculations. They ensure that the final result is not more precise than the original data, and they also help to prevent errors and misleading conclusions.

5. Can significant figures be used in all types of measurements?

No, significant figures are only applicable to measurements that involve some level of uncertainty or estimation. Whole numbers, exact values, and counting numbers do not have significant figures as they are considered to be precise and without uncertainty.